Please sign in to post.

Hotel am Markt Bacharach July 2023

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel in early July. As luck would have it, our first night there was the last night that a RS Best of Europe tour was staying there!

The hotel is lovely. The rooms are updated while retaining the charm. Plenty of storage space. Large beds, which were softer than many we experienced in several countries. Our group had three types of rooms: a Superior Double Room (including sofa bed on the 3rd floor US), a Family Suite (double rom with sofa bed) and a Deluxe Double room with Whirlpool (both on the 2nd floor US). All had mini fridges and ac was available for 10€/night. You tell the front desk what temp you want - it is not adjustable. There is no elevator. The breakfast consists of various breads and rolls, sliced meats & cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurt & granola, scrambled eggs, butter & jam, two types of juice, coffee & hot chocolate.

The hotel is located on the main road, near the church. The road is very busy and if your room faces it (as does the whirlpool room), you will hear alot of road noise. We were surprised how many cars drive very fast down the road. The other rooms heard more of the train noise from the opposite side of the building.

This was our first time staying in Bacharach, after previously staying in Boppard. Between the two, I prefer Boppard for a base. Bacharach is much smaller with fewer food options, less frequent boat service, more noisy accommodations with the train running right behind the Main Street, and many shops were closed. We visited Boppard at the end of our river cruise, and would have preferred a room on the river there.

A note about the KD boat service: we wanted to start in Bacharach, get off in St. Goar, then continue to Boppard by boat and take the train back. We could not buy a ticket from Bacharach to Boppard. We had to pay for each leg separately. So hopping on and off can get pricy.

In prior years when we stayed in Boppard, we took the train to St. Goar, train to Bacharach, then boat back to Boppard.

Posted by
1671 posts

I stayed here in 2014 and did not enjoy the place for the reasons you mentioned. Back then, there was no AC at all. Perhaps a new owner has upgraded the place since then. I agree I prefer Boppard more so than Bacharach to stay, yet Bacharach has its own little charms as I recall. Sounds like the boat trip has changed as well. We actually did ride from Bacharach to Boppard with one ticket and trained to St. Goar to look around and back to Bacharach.

Posted by
6315 posts

This was our first time staying in Bacharach, after previously staying in Boppard. Between the two, I prefer Boppard for a base. Bacharach is much smaller with fewer food options, less frequent boat service, more noisy accommodations with the train running right behind the Main Street, and many shops were closed.

I agree - I had originally planned to stay in Bacharach but started doing some research and changed to Boppard, which I really liked a lot, especially the hotel, which sat right at the waterfront.

Posted by
8142 posts

We've stayed in Bacharach three times over the years. Even met Fatima and let Kurt (her husband) cook a fine meal in his restaurant.

Enjoyed sitting on park bench watching the tour boats going back and forth. We had a car so going to area attractions was no issue--like the Konisbacher Brewery at Koblenz.

Sometimes staying in a little quieter place is needed to recharge your "batteries."