Please sign in to post.

Berlin budget hotel for family

Visiting Berlin for the 3rd time in late June/early July, bringing our young adult son. Haven’t been to Berlin since 1997! Looking for a reasonably-priced hotel (in the $200/night range) with family rooms that will sleep 3 people. Either Mitte or not too far out of city center and hopefully near public transportation station. 3-4 nights stay.

Excited to show our son one of our favorite cities in the world. Cannot believe it’s been 26 years since we were there! Thanks in advance!

Posted by
8669 posts

You’ve posted in the reviews section. Might get more answers if you post in the Germany section.

Posted by
20090 posts

Well, people often confuse the reviews section looking for recommendations.

Anyway, Pension Peters by Savignyplatz has family rooms starting 86 EUR per night. Good breakfast, helpful host. Bus in front to the Zoobahnhof or a short walk to Savignyplatz S-Bahn.

Posted by
56 posts

Thank you both, Claudia and Sam, for your responses. I debated about where to ask—the subheading in this section actually says “share—and ask for—hotel & restaurant reviews.” I’ll post in the Germany forum section, too, and see what I get. Sam’s rec for Pension Peters is the second one I’ve gotten, so that is looking good!

Thanks again!

Posted by
6315 posts

You're fine posting here, although you might get more responses on the German forum.

When I was in Berlin in 2022, I stayed in Hackescher Markt, at the Adina Apartment Hotel Hackescher Markt. My room was a studio since I was by myself but they also have 1-2 bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers and so on. They do have hotels in other Berlin locations as well, but I personally really liked this location. The staff was friendly and courteous, and the rooms were very well prepared, large, clean and nice. Breakfast is available although given the kitchen facilities, I just ate in my room in the morning. And the price was quite reasonable and I would think within your budget.

The hotel is very convenient to the U-Bahn, S-Bahn, and trams, and is an easy walk to the major museums. The DDR museum is only a few blocks away, along with the TV Tower, and Museum Island is a quick 5 minute walk. You can easily walk to Lindenstraß from there, There are several grocery stores a few blocks away along with a couple of wine shops, many cafes and good restaurants. I would definitely stay in this location again.

Posted by
15006 posts

I stayed at the same Adina Hotel as Mardee this past November. I second everything she said.

I was upgraded to a one bedroom and it should be good for the three of you.

Posted by
8142 posts

We just stay at the Hotel Ibis across the street from the main train station.

We caught the train from the BER airport, and we were just a few steps to the hotel. Mass transit operates out of the train station, and they have a bunch of restaurants in the train station and across the street.

We caught a tram a short distance down the street to go to a beer garden. We found the WWII museum 100 yards across the street and around the corner--and the walls that have not been torn down.

Ibis' location is a very nice property and it was certainly priced right.

After our stay in Berlin, we caught a 2 hour train down to Dresden. Now that city is a treat to see--absolutely beautiful. We know a really great hotel there just yards from the great museums and center city. We will return to Saxony.

Posted by
56 posts

Thank you all--Frank II, Mardee, David, for your replies. We have also been looking at the "chain" hotels like Novotel Berlin Mitte and Motel One. Any recommendations there? Berlin seems very expensive compared to London, Oslo... and we have to have a family room or book two rooms, which doesn't help!

Posted by
20090 posts

Berlin is a LOT less expensive than London or Oslo.

Posted by
2328 posts

Sam beat me to it ... I don't think I've seen Berlin or Germany ranked anywhere near the 25 most expensive cities / countries to visit in Europe. You may have to reset your calculator.

Posted by
56 posts

No, seriously--the hotels in Oslo/Bergen were much less expensive than comparable hotels I've seen in Berlin (so far). We stayed at RS recommended Thon hotels and found them to be good value, centrally located, comfortable, enormous breakfast offerings, "happy hour" snacks in the afternoon, walking distance to pretty much everything. The giant family room (the curse of the family room!) was $170/night in Oslo/Parliament Square and $225/night in Bergen/Bryggen. I am not finding similar rates in Berlin right now! Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but the hotels that seem similar are upwards of $300/night. Someone show me a hotel! :)

Posted by
20090 posts

Again, Pension Peters is less than 105 EUR/night June 30 to July 2 for a family room. Good neighborhood, lots of restaurants and transport nearby.

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks, Sam. Pension Peters is at the top of my list so far! I appreciate a good neighborhood and the chance to be "local" in the evening. Appreciate the recommendation!

Posted by
6315 posts

We have also been looking at the "chain" hotels like Novotel Berlin Mitte and Motel One. Any recommendations there?

Debbie, I stayed at the Motel One near the Hauptbahnhof for several nights on my return to Berlin, and really liked it. The hotel is extremely close to the train station (about a city block away), the rooms were nice and very clean and the service friendly and helpful. The rooms are not overly large but that's not a deal breaker for me, and the breakfast was excellent.

Posted by
56 posts

Mardee, thank you! I’m checking out David’s Ibis recommendation and your Motel One, both near the Hauptbahnhof, and the location looks outstanding. I appreciate the help!

Posted by
170 posts

i'm with you Debbie - july in Berlin is looking very expensive! Motel one is asking $1100 for 3 nights. And the IBIS hauptbahnhof is $308 per night.
I do notice that the weekdays are cheaper. i am looking for 4 nights over a weekend.

Posted by
56 posts

annemargaret, we tried the Ibis Hauptbahnhof and they could not accommodate us with 3 adults. We wound up booking at Novotel Mitte. Average is €300/night. Hope you find a deal! We decided the location was the important thing and are economizing elsewhere. I never look back and wish I hadn’t spent all that money on vacation… so I’m philosophical about it at this point. So excited to get back to Berlin!