Please sign in to post.

Reasonable hotels in Munich

Any suggestions for a family of 5 (probably need 2 rooms) near train station or Marienplatz area? Hotels, not hostels. Thanks!

Posted by
485 posts

I've stayed at the Platz Hotel which is my favorite and a 3 minute walk to the clock tower at Marienplatz. It is expensive and maybe not ideal for a family of 5, but when I travel alone I splurge. We've also stayed at the Falkenturm, which is a little further past the Platzl. It's doable and clean. For this trip coming up, my husband and I are staying at the Hotel am Viktualienmarkt, which is more south but also within walking distance of Marienplatz. Can't comment on it yet. I prefer to stay near Marienplatz rather than near the train station.

Posted by
380 posts

When in Munich we always stay at Hotel Europaischer Hof (www.heh.de) which is directly across from the train station. We have always found it clean, excellent breakfast buffet, extremely nice and helpful staff and priced just right for our wallet. They have an early bird option (10-20%) if you book so far in advance and pay in full at the time. We have actually saved quite a bit that way. Plus you can book it with or without breakfast included. I think it took us 15 minutes or so to walk to Marienplatz but the S/U bahn is directly in front of you at the station and is only 2 stops. The tram also stops direclty in front of the hotel. There are plenty of food options at the station and around it, especially if you just want a snack and two grocery stores neary by.

I believe they are in the process of updating the rooms now, at least based on what they told me when booking my reservation for April. Prior to this upcoming trip we have always stayed in a double room, facing the street but now that our daughter needs her own bed we will be staying in a larger room with a single for her. We think its a great place to stay, we haven't stayed anywhere else except for the year we rented a flat nearby. That's another option you might want to think about.

Posted by
106 posts

We recently stayed at the Hotel Royal, and were very happy with it. It is within easy walking distance of the train station - just a couple of blocks. You can also walk to the Marienplatz area very easily - maybe a 15 minute walk. However, if you don't want to walk you can just grab the train at the end of the block.

We got a very good rate, plus at the time they were running a special that if you paid for 3 nights, you got the 4th free. Breakfast was included, and it was a pretty decent breakfast. Since meals can be fairly expensive in Munich, the free breakfast was an added bonus. We found that we could fill up on breakfast and then just have a light lunch, and it saved us a lot of money.

The rooms were very nice and comfortable. Only thing to be aware is that the elevator is quite small- it was a bit of a challenge to fit 2 of us and our suitcases in the car. Also, it does not go up to the top floor (which is where our room is located). So, we would take the elevator up to the floor below us, and walk the last flight of steps. If that is a concern for you, be sure to request rooms on a lower floor.

Posted by
1 posts

Don't forget to check the old stand-by Hotel Uhland. Our family of 5 stayed there at Christmas some years ago and it was a geat experience for everyone. Our daughter (college age at the time) was so thrilled that she never wanted to leave her room. We had three rooms and cost was not extraordinary.

Posted by
5 posts

We stayed at the Arthotel in Munich, about a 5 minute walk from the train station. Nice, clean, basic rooms, with art-themed decor. Beautiful breakfast buffet! Reasonably priced.

Posted by
588 posts

Several years ago I stayed at a hotel between Marienplatz and the train station. Perfect location. Check out RSGermany, Austria Switzerland book for hotels in Munich. You can't go wrong.

Posted by
1 posts

Yes, I have been to Munich twice now for a total of about 8 days there. I love the city. We stayed at both the Eden Wolff Hotel directly across from the train station on the North side and the Le Méridien Munich on the south side of the train station. First off the Le Méridien Munich is a top notch hotel but very International. So you don't get the cozy feeling. While a great hotel and we loved it the Eden Wolff is more typical German and very nice so I liked that one better. Plus they have really good breakfast with everything you need and is usually included in price. Ask for a Superior room and you will get one of the newest and most comfortable rooms. Keep in mind that being right next to the train station means that you will get some noise but nothing we could not handle. From both of these locations you can walk to the center of Munich in 5 minutes and jump on trains in 1 minute. It is really a great location and about $75 cheaper than staying directly in the city's center. I am from Chicago and Munich has become a city I would love to spend a year in one day. Just need to figure out how to make that happen. I love the city and location to everything else. All the Germans I met were very nice to me and I enjoyed meeting many people in beautiful Munich. Also, don't forget side trips to Salzburg, Innsbruck area (mts.), and all the small towns on the romantic road. Just love Germany.

Posted by
21 posts

We are staying at Hotel Brack in Munich this July. The family rooms are reasonable for Munich and the breakfasts are supposed to be wonderful. I can't offer first-hand knowledge (yet) but it's worth reading trip-advisor reviews and looking into for yourself.

Posted by
27 posts

I second the comment about the Hotel Uhland. Conveniently located a short walk from the train station and a longer, but easy, 20 minute walk to Marienplatz. Of course if you are there for Oktoberfest (we weren't) it is a mere stumble away from the party.