My Summer of 2013 Reading - So Far

HISTORICAL FICTION By Night Under The Stone Bridge - Leo Perutz (16th century Prague) The Good German - Joseph Kanon (Berlin at the end of WWII) The Moment - Douglas Kennedy (East / West Berlin) The Last Hundred Days - Patrick McGuinness (Romania) Siege 13: Stories - Tamas Dobozy (Hungarian Uprising) Under Budapest - Ailsa Kay (Hungarian Uprising) HHhH - Laurent Binet (Prague / Asassination of Heydrich) In Times of Fading Light - Eugen Ruge (Life in the DDR) NON-FICTION (drilling down a little deeper) Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich - Robert Gerwarth Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 - Anne Applebaum The Spy Who Loved: The Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville - Clare Mulley WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Posted by Kevin
near Ringwood, Hampshire, UK
521 posts

George, if you haven't read it already I wonder if you might enjoy Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst. There was a TV version last year, starring David Tennant (a former Dr. Who) which was good and which may well have been shown in Canada. It's about the the French and Polish secret services working together and against the Nazis as they prepared to launch the invasion of 1939. Tennant is Scots and doesn't attempt a French accent, which is probably a blessing. Highly recommended.

Posted by Paul
Cedar, IA, USA
2383 posts

Not read yet...But found a book "Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo" by Tim Parks. It promises to delve into the customs, bureaucracy, and oddities of the transportation system in Italy, sort of done in a journey, first person type way. Might seem boring to some, but right up my alley.

Posted by Charles
Austin, Texas, USA
308 posts

Let's see....started the summer with my Rick Steves Scandinavia guidebook and just got my hands on the new Rick Steves Northern Europe Cruise Guidebook that I have been sinking my teeth into as of late. Oh, and have been doing plenty of reading on this site as well. Can't wait for my cruise next year in the Baltic / Scandinavia region!!!

Posted by Rebecca
Nashville, TN, USA
645 posts

Right now I am reading "Roman Britain; A New History" by Guy De La Bedoyere.

Posted by Monte
Genesee, ID
1376 posts

Not much more than bills and the newspaper. The idea that librarians read a lot is just a misunderstanding.

Posted by Susan
Sausalito, California
3209 posts

Your list is impressive George. I don't have much time for reading but I did just finish Ina Caro's Paris to the Past and really enjoyed it.

Posted by Andrea
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
435 posts

Currently - Liverpool : The hurricane port - Andrew Lees, 2013 edition Up next - Orkney - Amy Sackville (fiction)

Posted by Pamela
New York City, NY, USA
3314 posts

Stone Voices Neal Ascherson--great book helping to understand Scotland's quest for independence. At Random--Bennet Cerf's reminisces about his life and Random House. Rosamund Pilchard's books. Lovely summer reads. Sarah Woodbury--fun time travel. After Climiri, Edward, the Hammer of the Scots dies young. :) Paul Theroux Last Train to Zona Verde. More trashy summer novels. :) Pam

Posted by Tom
Hüttenfeld, Hessen, Germany
9134 posts

Currently reading Dickens' Bleak House. If you've ever heard a Jane Austen fan (a "Jane-ite", as opposed to an "Austenite") pine for the romance of yesteryear's Britain, use Bleak House as a retort that life in early 19th century Britain wasn't all dancing and romantic misunderstandings...

Posted by Dave
Santa Barbara, CA, US
1 posts

I read the hangman's daughter series by Oliver Pötzsch who is from Bavaria. There are 4 books in this series of historical mysteries that take place in the 17th century in southern Germany. Some parts are pretty gruesome but the mysteries and detail are impressive. I especially enjoyed the last one which takes place at the Andechs Monastery, which is near to Munich and famous for its beer today.

Posted by Nigel
East Midlands, England
8760 posts

Is Bennett Cerf still in print? I have a volume in the bookcase at the top of the stairs (I see it every day) which is at least 50 years old. A very good book indeed.

Posted by Zoe
Toledo, Ohio, US
2531 posts

Just got the book "Monument Men" about saving the stolen artwork of Europe during WWII. Pre-ordered "Saving Italy", same subject.

Posted by Andrea
435 posts

They are making a movie based on Monuments Men with George Clooney. Anyone know when it will be released?

Posted by Leigh
Missouri
193 posts

Currently reading "Sarum," a history of Salisbury, England by Edward Rutherford. My last book was "Pompeii" by Robert Harris. This thread has given me some ideas for future reading, and I think I got the idea for "Sarum" from some other thread on this message board.

Posted by Joan
Gettysburg, PA, USA
172 posts

Excellent suggestions all around. Pamela, thanks for alerting me to the Bennett Cerf book. I enjoyed him and all he did so much in my younger years and just ordered the book from Amazon.

Posted by Claudia
Land of La
2014 posts

Twilight of The Elites, America After Mertiocracy - Christopher Hayes I Am Half-Sick of Shadows, A Flavia De Luce Mystery - Alan Bradley Dog on It, A Chet and Bernie Mystery - Spencer Quinn One Man's Meat, E. B. White Myrna Loy, The Only Good Girl in Hollywood, Emily Leider When You Are Engulfed in Flames, David Sedaris An Impartial Witness, a Bess Crawford Mystery, Charles Todd A Matter of Justice, a Inspector Rutledge Mystery, Charles Todd Let's Pretend This Never Happened ( I am still laughing) - Jenny Lawson Presently 4 chapters into Sizzling Sixteen (got it for $2) a Stephanie Plum Novel - Janet Evanovich Awaiting shipment of Before I Go To Sleep - S.J Watson Sense a reading preference here?!

Posted by Harold
New York, NY, USA
2852 posts

"They are making a movie based on Monuments Men with George Clooney. Anyone know when it will be released?" Andrea: It looks like December 18 in the US, which probably means major cities only, then expanding over the next month or so (called a "platform release"). In the movie business, Canada is considered part of the US (don't ask). So, Toronto is likely to get it on December 18 as well. But do remember, release dates get changed all the time. My source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177771/releaseinfo

Posted by Chani
Tel Aviv
3511 posts

My goodness, how do you find the time? I'm currently reading the 5 Shardlake novels by C.J. Sansom - weak murder mysteries wrapped in a gritty look at the England of King Henry VIII, fun reads, and King Jesus by Robert Graves. In between, I'm slogging through Lord Kinross's The Ottoman Centuries, a dull read if ever there was one. I spent most of the summer reading hotel and attraction reviews, airline schedules, RS Istanbul, DK Istanbul, and of course . . . . . The RS Helpline Zoe - I just put Monument Men on my shopping list.

Posted by Karen
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
1521 posts

Edmund Rutherfurd "Paris" David Sedaris "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" Ian Rankin "Standing in Another Man's Grave" Ian McEwan's "Sweet Tooth" Alice Munro's "Dear Life" Elmore Leonard's "Up in Honey's Room" (Finished it the day before he died) and currently reading Hilary Mantel's "Bring up the Bodies"

Posted by Andrea
435 posts

"They are making a movie based on Monuments Men with George Clooney. Anyone know when it will be released?" Andrea: It looks like December 18 in the US, which probably means major cities only, then expanding over the next month or so (called a "platform release"). In the movie business, Canada is considered part of the US (don't ask). So, Toronto is likely to get it on December 18 as well. But do remember, release dates get changed all the time. Thanks Harold. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I don't need to drive to Toronto to see it (but probably will, Peterborough is the back of beyond).

Posted by Grier
Carmel, IN
1058 posts

Among others: Leonardo and the Last Supper by Ross King A Vineyard in Tuscany by Ferenc Mate Palladian Days by Sally Gable My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante Donna Leon mysteries The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer Villa Triste by Lucretia Grindle Saving Italy by Robert Edsel A Room With a View by E M Forster Brooklyn by Colm Toibin The Olive Route by Carol Drinkwater
The Olive Tree by Carol Drinkwater I like seeing what others are reading.

Posted by Fred
San Francisco
2702 posts

Non-fiction...only history. The main book is The Pity of War - Niall Ferguson, his controversial explanation on the origins of and the First World War...highly recommended.

Posted by Larry
Pearland, Texas, USA
417 posts

A fiction I enjoyed was Playing For Pizza by John Grisham. Preparing for the old stone bridge in Regensburg:
Non-fiction: Holy Warriors by Jonathan Phillips and The Crusades by Zoe Oldenbourg

Posted by Sean
New York
148 posts

Am I the only one who reads guidebooks for fun? I do that even when I'm not traveling.

Posted by Andrea
435 posts

Sean, I also read guidebooks for fun. I work in a public library with a terrific and up-to-date travel section so I check out various countries on a whim. I often keep the old ones we discard after the new ones arrive and have built a library of guidebooks.

Posted by Karen
Santa Rosa, CA
612 posts

I've read a few that make you think "could we"? Happier than a Billionaire in Costa Rica, Quitting my job, moving to Costa Rica, & Living a Zero Hour work week Happier than a Billionaire in Costa Rica, the Sequel Stumbling through Italy Scratching the toe of Italy, Expecting the unexpected in Calabria Gracianna (setting France/Paris WWII) Rick Steves Scotland Haven't read this yet, but someone just gave me "Black Diamonds, the Rise and Fall of an English Dynasty"