Please sign in to post.

Wine

Has anyone purchased French wine to bring back to the states? Do you put in checked bag or ship? Is it worth it ? Thank you for your help.

Posted by
1321 posts

We have out it in our checked bags and we have added a case (in a shipping box) as a checked bag. In Italy we have used a third party shipper.

Posted by
1439 posts

I’ve put wine from France in my luggage first in a plastic bag tightly sealed and then wrapped thoroughly in clothes. Never, ever had any bottles break.

Posted by
3713 posts

I’ve done both plus brought an extra wine carrier as empty luggage and filled that with wine and checked it. All have been worth it to me but all the wines have been ones I or my husband could not find or could not afford in the US.

Posted by
2195 posts

We’ve done both, successfully. We have two bottles signed by their respective vintners, so those could not be duplicated. We usually have wine shipped and can calculate the cost relative to what we would pay for the same quality in the US. It’s wine that can’t be purchased in the US. If we ship it, we try to have it delivered to a business drop location so it’s not riding around on a truck for hours. Some places will not ship unless weather conditions are favorable.

Posted by
8473 posts

Cathy, we use WineSkins wineskins amazon to pack a bottle or two. Its a nice souvenir to bring a bottle from a winery you've visited. More than that I don't think is worth it, but doable. At a winery, we ask if they have a US distributor if there's something we like. Recently I've seen some special hardcase suitcase made with compartments to safely store wine bottles.