Please sign in to post.

Which Hotel

Hello! I have booked the following hotels for my husband, 18 yr.old son, and myself for 4 nights in August. I would very much appreciate any feed back you might have. I had read that the 5th or 6th arr is an excellent place for us. I tried to get the Latin quarter, but only one of these is there, and it is the least expensive, but with the lesser sleep accommodations. Thanks so much! Hotel Saint Jacques 35, Rue Des Ecoles, 5th arr., Paris, 75005, France. La Perle 14 rue des Canettes, 6th arr.,Best Western Aramis Saint Germain 124, rue de Rennes, 6th arr., Paris, 75006, France

Posted by
2466 posts

The ambiance in the 5th and 6th is so closely related that there is no appreciable difference between the two.
I'd just pick the hotel that suits you - transportation options are very convenient in both the 5th and 6th, so you won't have any problem getting anywhere you want to go.

Posted by
9420 posts

I agree with chexbres. I've stayed at Hotel St Jacques twice, I liked it. Trivia: Hotel St Jacques was used in the movie "Charade" with Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn. Great movie btw.

Posted by
3695 posts

I would eliminate the Best Western Aramis. I think the feel of that area, which is probably more Montparnasse than Saint Germain or Latin Quarter, is quite different from the other two so I'd eliminate the Best Western for that. As between La Perle and the Hotel Saint Jacques, the decision is a little trickier. Both are in good areas though I like the area around La Perle a bit better -- lots of great restaurants and a pretty easy walk (less than 15 minutes) to the river but it can be noisy but then again so is the area around Hotel Saint Jacques. I am out there on my own on this but I find the neighborhoods very different but maybe they are not in August. It could be because I have been on rue des Ecoles while school is in session. That area is much livelier and (dare I say it) younger than the area near La Perle. I was on rue des Ecoles (walking from rue Gay Lussac to rue Monsieur le Prince) on Saturday night and I feel like that part of the Latin Quarter has a college town feel to it with lots of groups of young adults out and about, which your son (and you) may enjoy. Generally, I find that Latin Quarter hotels and restaurants are a less expensive than similar properties in Saint Germain so if you like the Latin Quarter better, why spend more to go to an area that is not your first choice.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for your feedback, JHK. Yes, I will let the Best Western Hotel go. But deciding between the other 2 is tricky. St. Jacques is $125 less for the 4 nights, but that isn't a deal breaker. It has a twin and a double, while La Perle has a queen and a twin. And both have wonderful reviews.

Posted by
2466 posts

If La Perle has a true King bed - I didn't see a Queen mentioned - I'd go with that option.
It's a good location on a quiet street, very convenient to walking and transportation.

Posted by
7209 posts

For travel in August you should verify that the room is Air Conditioned.

Posted by
11 posts

Chexbres, my confirmation says Queen, while the confirmation for St. Jacques says full. And both are air conditioned. 👍🏻😊