Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in southern France

Which areas are the best for traveling outside of Paris in the southern sections of France? Lyon, Arles, Nice? Thanks

Posted by
533 posts

Hi Kathy.

Welcome to the Forum. You will get more out of this if you are more specific with the information you provide in your question.

For example...time of year, how much time do you have, how many people (adults/kids), what are the interests of the travellers, are they experienced travellers, city or small town, car or train, budget, hotel or apartment.

Posted by
27122 posts

And how many nights will you have for this part of France?

Posted by
11 posts

We will be there at least a week, maybe longer if we can find a great place to stay. Thanks

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi,
I realize what you mean by southern France. Have you ever considered SW France, the Basque region S and SE of Bordeaux? And actually, Bordeaux is a great place to visit. SW France has a very different feel than Lyon, Arles, or Nice. SW France is greener and wetter. Well maybe not this year.

wayne inWI

Posted by
11 posts

Yes, possibly, just looking for some inside tips and great locations. Thanks

Posted by
11 posts

This is so helpful, we are not nightlife people and greatly appreciate beauty and the countryside, however I would love to see the Mediterranean from the shores of France. As an artist, my first loves are the Impressionists, especially VanGogh. I must visit Arles.

Merci beaucoup!!!

Kathy

Posted by
137 posts

A day trip from Arles to the Mediterranean coast is very doable, too.

Posted by
1321 posts

You can find very affordable apartment in Nice. It's on the train line and you don't have to stay in old town and still get a great experience in Nice. Arles and Avignon don't have Med views. Lyon is more a place to live then a place to visit if that makes sense. I also love Antibes - on the train, ocean view, smaller town

Posted by
14510 posts

Except for Lyon, I would suggest you have some very good choices here. I didn't care for Lyon either, went back twice in 2 trips. How far south? I would say too Dijon and Grenoble. How about Montelimar?

Posted by
678 posts

Time of year can be critical. You could stay in the Luberon, but not really between Nov and March. And a car is essential to maximize places like the Luberon (or even Arles). Avignons connections are better. There is also Aix, especially if you have an interest in Cezanne.

Nice and the Cote d'Azur also have a collection of villages along the see and into the mountain, and a wide variety of museums scattered throughout the towns dedicated to impressionist/post impressionist/fauvist and other more modern art (Matisse, Chagall, Picasso, Bonnard, Cocteau, Dufy, Klein, Renoir, etc)

Posted by
533 posts

We know you are looking for recommendations for two for a week or longer, with artistic intentions, and vIews of the Mediterranean . We still don’t know what time of year or if you prefer village, small town or city or your budget. Or where you will be before this and for how long.

Nonetheless, I would recommend Antibes if you are looking for a small town intimate experience. Find an apartment in the old town area and soak up the artistic vibe. Check out the Picasso museum. Wander the old Town. Narrow cobbled lanes. Bring a basket and visit the covered market with the locals, chatting with the vendors. Buy some flowers. Check out the sunsets from the small beach depending on time of year. Take day trips to other places along the coast by train.