Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris in September 2024?

Hello all!
We are heading to France in September 2024 . First stop Lyon; then Avignon and then onto Paris. Didn't realize when booking, that it's Fashion week in Paris when we are there. We would have loved to have stayed in the Marais or St Germain areas as we heard they are the nicest areas but there's not much availability for rooms for our family of 3 and the ones that are available, are almost triple usual rate!

We are considering other places to stay in Paris and need advice on alternative areas.

We would like to be in an area that is not too touristy and is safe and with quaint cafe's, restaurants etc. Area's that allows us to walk to attractions that are within 20-25 mins of would be preferred if possible. Budget around $475 p/n

Posted by
11499 posts

This happened to us on our first trip to this area. We just flipped our itinerary avoiding Fashion Week and then had no problems.

Posted by
2774 posts

Honestly your goals seem kind of incompatible. You wanted to stay in the Marais or St. Germain. You want to stay within walking distance of the main "attractions" All of those scream "touristy" . Then you say "we would like to be in area that is not too touristy"? Any place with "easy access" on foot will have LOTS and LOTS of tourists. September is liable to be particularly busy due to pent up demand from the summer.

This area was recommended in another thread and think it would work for you but it's not "easy access" by foot. It does have a good metro station with three lines and affordable hotel options. -Place d' italie Lots of cafes and locals.

Posted by
8438 posts

As others have noted you actually don't want to stay in a non-touristy place -- you want to stay in the charming picture books central areas of the Marais and St. Germain. Central Paris is pretty small and the metro will get you anywhere so you can venture out. Place d'Italie area is where we stay every spring , a bit east on Tolbiac -- it is not touristy but also not 'charming'
It is also not very convenient to central sites -- it has good connections but it is a ways to the center.

An area that might thread the needle is Montparnasse in the Edgar Quinet metro area -- good transport, lots of amenities, a tad out of the tourist thrum. You can walk easily through Luxembourg Gardens to the center as well.

Posted by
11 posts

I have been to Paris many times during Fashion Week and it all really depends on your budget, which you haven't mentioned. How much per room are you budgeting for? Paris is filled with many neighborhoods that are nice, with plenty of cafés and restaurants and centrally located (which is totally subjective as attractions are quite spread out).

Posted by
12313 posts

There is always something going on in Paris. Busy is normal.

Check Airbnb. Fashion week may book up all the hotels. Business travelers usually book hotels exclusively. I haven't had trouble finding Airbnb the second and fourth weeks of September, without booking outside the center.

Posted by
750 posts

We find the 6th arrondissement (bordering on the 7th) charming and full of all kinds of people; tourists and locals. I'm sure to be in a touristy place when I'm standing at the Eiffel Tower, or the boat ride on the Seine or other such locations, but otherwise anywhere in central Paris is just a wonderful place to see people from all walks of life.

Posted by
14760 posts

Absolutely, as I know of a few 2 star hotels in Paris Nord offering decent rates. It basically comes down to how much luxury you want.