Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris

Hello! My husband and I are planning to stay in Paris this May for 4 nights. This is our first time in Paris, and we want to be in a location that is easy to get around (centrally locatedish or close to quick transportation). We love food and would like to be in walking distance to food and the sights.
Any hotel suggestions? We would love to stay under $160 a night, if possible.

Thanks!

Posted by
23267 posts

Again, as in response to your other posting, use the Rick Steves' guidebook for France and/or Paris as your starting point. If you have questions about a specific hotel, then post your question. If you don't want to buy the guidebook, then check it out from you local public library.

Posted by
13934 posts

Yep, I started out looking at the RS guide and then comparing his recommendations with the reviews on Trip Advisor. It's also best to start thinking in Euro. To me 160E might be low for 2. I think the place I often stay is about $150 for a single in May.

You'll want to look at the single number Arrondisements which are closer in toward the river.

Posted by
847 posts

I like to stay in the 5th or 6th. I have also stayed in the 3rd, 4th, and 7th but not as crazy about them as I am the 5th and 6th. Yes I know those are all 'touristy' but they also have a more medieval street plan and I find it certainly is central if you are going to be doing touristy things. If you are willing to look in the outer areas - 11th, 12th, etc. you will find lower prices. That said I found a number of 'decent' places under €150. Hotel St Jacques is my favorite but the price is sneaking up, not sure what it is in May. Minerve is another good one. Twice recently I've stayed at the St Pierre and love the location but the rooms are kind of small and dark (although perfectly serviceable). Hotel Marigan is another I've stayed at. That one can be super inexpensive if you don't mind sharing a toilet with one or two other rooms (shower and sink are usually in the room itself). And they do have rooms totally ensuite but then the price goes up. They also have no lift. Oh another one I like is St Andres des Artes but it's under renovation at the moment, don't think it will be done by May.

Now after looking at all those places that I've stayed in the past I just booked Hotel Abbatial St. Germain. It's a little more expensive but it has a mini-bar/fridge which I really need and most hotels in Paris do not have that.

All of these are on booking.com

Posted by
763 posts

In addition to considering hotels, you might want to look at Airbnb (and VRBO) for reasonably priced accommodations. Just a quick scan, without having your exact dates, shows apartments in the $60-120 range.

Posted by
352 posts

We just returned from 5 days in Paris and stayed at http://www.hotel-victoria-chatelet.com/
A little side street, quite quiet, off Boulevard Sebastotapol, one block from the river. I originally had booked in Rue le Cler (RS) but realized I would spend much time transferring on the Metro. This hotel is right by Chatelet Metro, literally outside our door, so convenient and access to many lines.