Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Paris

I have an airbnb reserved not real far from Sacre Coeur, on Rue de Chapelle. It look like nothing is around it, like cafes, grocery stores, bakeries, etc. I can't seem to communicate with the host as to where to leave my bag when I arrive early in the day. I am thinking of canceling and getting a different place. There are still plenty of Airbnbs available. Would Noisy-le-Sac be a suitable area to stay, or some other area a little farther out of Paris? I'm concerned about the distance to Paris and not being in zone 1 or 2, a transportation pass would not cover it. It sounds like some of you have spent much time in Paris, so you might have a good recommendation. I really can't afford a hotel in Paris. The airbnb is about $35 per night.

Posted by
6783 posts

$35/night is really too good to be true (almost definitely an illegal rental and an illegal sublet...if it exists at all), and rue de la Chapelle is not the best part of town, especially the area around the La Chapelle metro station (closer to Marx Dormoy is OK).
Noisy-le-Sec is covered by transportation passes - you just need to buy the regular zone 1-5 pass; zone 1-2 passes no longer exist as far as I know - and it is not that far if you are close to the RER station. It is a middle or lower-middle class suburb, some parts are nice, other less so, no major concerns beside distance to Paris and lack of attractions in the area.
But what is your budget? Could it stretch to $80/night or so - which would give you a few basic hotel options in the immediate outskirts of Paris? Or, are you willing to stay in a hostel dorm? Personally, I'd sacrifice the comfort of a private room to avoid commuting into town...

Posted by
8570 posts

Cancel. Sounds too good to be true price wise, host isn’t responding and the area is not known for its beauty or charm.

Whats your budget? Many posters will respond to your request for Paris lodging.

Posted by
13808 posts

You are a solo woman traveler to Paris for the first time. (Or 1st time in years?). Based on your previous posts you are not a highly experienced traveler. You should not take a risk with a lodging offer that is that cheap.

If your budget doesn’t run to one of the less expensive hotels in the city center then consider cutting some nights. I thought your plan was 18 nights or so split between Venice and Paris? Consider shortening your trip and staying in a safe, accessible area.

Posted by
1362 posts
Posted by
13808 posts

Sorry to post again but I was out and about and couldn't access other sites. Here is a link for a hotel that many suggest for those on a strict budget. It's in a great area for a 1st time solo older female traveler. You would not have cleaning fees like you have in Air BnB so it may come out to be a similar price for something in the same area. You'd also have folks on the front desk if you had questions.

https://hotel-diana-paris.com/en/page/.4877.html

I have not stayed here myself and since we don't know your actual budget in Euro it's hard to give recommendations.

Posted by
287 posts

The place I have reserved is right by the Chapelle metro stop. After all your comments and from the picture of the place I am going to cancel. I decided to go up to $50 a night on airbnb and found some much better options. One is in the XI arrondissment between Nation, Republic and Bastille. Another is the XIII arrondissment at the Gentilly stop. Not sure what zone that's in. They both have kitchen facilities and everything else. The 2nd is a little cheaper but does have free cancellation until the day before.
Pam, Yes I have been to Paris but so long ago, it was a different world. The $ was strong, so pensions were only less than $5.
Hostels were less than a $1. The good ol days.

I don't want to cut my time short in Paris. Airbnbs can be very nice. You just have to read the reviews. They tell you all. What do you think of the 2 I mentioned.

Posted by
287 posts

Pam, I did look up that link. It's more than $80, the cheapest room. Looks nice though. I'm not going to go over $55.

Posted by
8257 posts

Only you know your complete circumstances and budget. However, if there is any way that you can swing for a little higher on your budget it may make a big difference. I, and I am sure the rest of the forum members, want to make sure that you are taking good care of yourself. Hoping for a wonderful and safe journey for you.

Here is where my niece stays. It is "boutique hostel" with single rooms. You can get a private room for 57 euros.

http://caulaincourt.com/