Please sign in to post.

where to stay in alsace

we will be in alsace for 3 or 4 days in june, so, suggestions about which town to stay, as well as hotels or b and b's. merci, nicholas

Posted by
435 posts

What are your hopes and expectations?
We stayed at Maison Rouge in the small town of Barr for several nights. Most people have never heard of Barr and it doesn't have any big name sights. It is a lovely uncrowded town on the Route du Vin with lots of interesting low profile places to visit nearby. Great scenery, wine villages, castle ruins etc.It is accessable by train from Strasbourg.
Most people on here will be pointing you towards Colmar, Ribeauville, Kayserberg etc. Far more popular with American tourists

Posted by
375 posts

We stayed in Strasbourg. Loved it! Did some walking, market days, eating, etc. At the Hotel Suisse...great breakfast bar!

Posted by
15582 posts

With a car, the best is to stay in one of the villages. I chose Eguisheim and loved it. I stayed at Marie Bombenger's B&B. Other villages are larger and will have more restaurant options.

Posted by
1971 posts

Stayed near Barr three years back and I can recommend it too if you look for something under the tourist radar. It lacks the liveliness of the more well-known places, maybe for some a bit too quiet but for me it was okay. Not too far from the freeway and plenty of lovely places like Obernai and the abbey of Mont Saint-Odile for a stunning view over the Rhine Valley.

Posted by
435 posts

Also 3 x 13th C castle ruins in the beautiful forested Vosges hillside within easy walking distance of town.

Posted by
809 posts

We had a very pleasant stay in Langensoultzbach at the Chambres d’hote La Bouill’hote in 2016. It’s a small village, but there were several nice restaurants within 5-10 minutes’ drive. We were there for genealogy research, and the village was well located for getting to all our other sites; we also enjoyed strolling around Langensoultzbach itself.