Please sign in to post.

What to see in Ardeche area of France, and nearby area?

My husband and I will have a rented car, and have 5 days to mosey. We will be picking up the car in Avignon, and flying out of Marseille. What would you recommend as must-see? We love natural beauty (thus our choice of Ardeche), and we love art museums, historic towns, medieval castles, and all sorts of romantic sights. I can't pick! So I'd love some input. We don't want to spend a huge amount of time driving, but we will be able to get to out of the way places. We also know we can't do everything in 5 days!

Many thanks for your input!

Posted by
3551 posts

I cannot comment on ardeche gorge but if u have interest in gorge du verdon i can recommend it highly. I drove the gorge rd and ate and stayed along the way easily it was a nice option for provence having already visited many of the beutiful billages previously.

Posted by
3592 posts

In the Ardeche, you'll want to visit Vallon-Pont-d'Arc and see the replica of the Grotte Chauvet. The towns of Grignan, Le Poet-Laval, and St.Paul-Trois-Chateaux are all charming, possessing medieval castles, and not overrun by tourists. You could combine two, or maybe all three, into a single day trip.
Near Marseille, the Camargue is a must-see for nature lovers.