Please sign in to post.

weather

Hello My husband and I are planning our first trip to Paris and Monet's Garden is one of our main destinations! Our options are mid April or any time in August. So we are looking for advice on what month to pick. We are limited because of jobs and family responsibilities. We are very excited and have never been to Europe. Weather averages that we are reading vary quite a lot! Thank you for any advice!

Posted by
11507 posts

Weather in April may be lovely spring like and sunny, or , springlike and rainy .

Weather in August may be long summery days , 0possibilty of an occasional thunder or rain shower , and it can be very hot !! Hot in city can be stifling as there are no sea breezes etc.

Hotels often lower rates for August ( I have often had to go in August and this is one advantage that many don't know about ) , but you must get a hotel with AC . April is high season for hotels so don't expect any deals . ( "April in Paris" is a fantasy time to go isn't it )

All things considered late April would be my first choice , but I have enjoyed both spring and summer visits .

I wouldn't put too much stick in weather as it's too unpredictable, I have been in August and encountered cool weather, and been in late April and had nice weather, but cool in May .

Just pick best time for you .

Posted by
509 posts

We visited Monet's Gardens in late April 2016. Weather was ideal; we were comfortable in slacks and shirtsleeves. Wife may have worn a sweater. (It was a Sunday, and we were glad we made the effort to be parked and in line before opening time.) Perhaps we were lucky, but that was the start of a 3-week trip and the weather was consistently pleasant. I recall some rain during our Paris segment, but there's much to see and do indoors. August weather may be more predictable (I haven't looked at the charts), but you will certainly be among a smaller tourist population in April. Either way, it will be a memorable holiday.

Posted by
2466 posts

April can vary wildly - sudden, brief hailstorms are not uncommon as is rain and wind. We have even had snow in early April. If you have the option of going during the last week of April, you might get lucky.
August can also vary, depending on when you go. There can be 3 to 5 day "canicules" (heat waves) at any time during August, or it can turn chilly during the latter part of the month.
If you can stand the heat and the crowds in August, that's when I'd recommend going.

Posted by
7033 posts

I've never been to Paris in April so I can't comment on the weather then or on Monet's garden at Giverny in the Spring. I'm quite certain it's wonderful at any time that it is open to the public. In 2012 I spent the whole month of August in Paris so I can comment on that, at least as far as August in one year is likely to predict what it's like in another year (anecdotal at best). I found the gardens at Giverny absolutely splendid at that time of year, maybe because I'm partial to late summer flowers as opposed to early spring flowers. I can say that along with Giverny, the gardens in Paris, especially Luxembourg, the Tuileries, Parc Monceau and those at Versailles were also stunning it August.

It was hot when I was there but no hotter than what I have lived with in Minneapolis, Denver, and where I live now in Oregon in August. Summer in the northern hemisphere is pretty hot wherever you are so I wouldn't necessarily let that be the determiner. I agree with Pat that rates can be lower in August and actually the crush of tourists was not that bad at that time of year. If you go in August and you do mind the heat then, by all means, make sure you have A/C where you stay.

I agree with the other poster, go when it's most convenient for you. If you can get lower airfares and lower hotel/apt rates at one time of year over the other, then maybe use that as your determiner. I'm about 99% certain that you'll enjoy Paris and Giverny no matter when you go. Enjoy.

Posted by
13937 posts

I agree with Nancy that weather reports are anecdotal but also agree with Pat that August can be hot and to prepare for that! Based on other travel I was doing last fall it worked out that I got to Paris on Aug 20. The first couple of days weren't bad but ugh...then it got really hot. As in...needed to get back to the airconditioned hotel with gelato by 3 in the afternoon, hot. I am a wimp when it comes to heat but this was pretty bad. I did not go to Giverny this time around but the flowers in Jardin des Plantes and the other small garden spaces were looking quite parched and sad.

I would go for April.

Posted by
3122 posts

If you're a gardener in a northern zone you realize plants are just coming into bud in the spring. In April the Giverny gardens will likely have a show of early-ish spring flowers. August will provide more of a lush display of many plants in full bloom & maturity.

Posted by
15584 posts

I realize that every year is different, but last year I was in Paris for the second half of April and the city was in full bloom, not just the flower beds, but the shrubs and the trees and the fragrant lilacs. It seemed to be toward the end of spring, with lots of pastel blossoms carpeting the ground under the trees. And the gardens at Giverny were gorgeous - though it's way too early from waterlilies. I had mostly warm weather, sometimes a light jacket was in order and a couple of days I even had to turn on the heating in the apartment for a little while, other times sandals and short sleeves and shady seats were the order of the day. I was fortunate with only a couple cloudy days and one with rain . . . May 1. I've not been in August, but if you choose then, be sure to get a place with AC - it can get sizzly.

Posted by
11294 posts

Whatever time of year you go, do go to Monet's garden first thing in the day. By all accounts, later in the day it gets mobbed with tour bus crowds. Rick's book has details of your options for getting there; check train and bus schedules so you don't miss the ones necessary to get there when it opens.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think I'd chance the weather in April over going in August. August is as likely as not to be miserably hot plus virtually certain to have double the crowds of April.

I'd rather have a sweater and rain shell on than be miserably hot. If you go in August, everything will cost more and you will have to pay attention to whether your hotel has AC.