Please sign in to post.

Walking in Paris

I was wondering how far is too far to walk in the Marais and when should we use a cab? Everyone is young and in good shape in our group. Most restaurants that we want to visit are about 1 mile from our Airbnb. Do most people walk the mile or catch a cab?

Posted by
9420 posts

Yes, i would easily walk the mile because it’s such a fun area with so much to see and enjoy by foot. I walk 10-13 miles a day in Paris and i’m not young. I’d walk even more but i have back issues. It’s my favorite thing to do. Well, that and sitting outside at cafés, and the Luxembourg Gardens... : )

Posted by
15823 posts

I'll agree with Susan 100%: you should easily be able to manage that distance and more. It's not unusual for us to put 10-15 miles on on our feet daily when on a trip, and we hoofed ALL over Paris. It's a great city to see from the sidewalks so we used public transport just a few times during our week stay. Oh, and we're in our 60's so not exactly spring chickens!

Posted by
13966 posts

I agree with Susan (and editing to add...Kathy!). It'll be a nice stroll there and back, plus there are some pedestrian only streets in the area. You might be out anyway and be able to hit the restaurant on the way back to your lodging.

Pam

Posted by
798 posts

We are 75 &78 and do between 5 and 10 miles a day in Paris, it is the really great way to see the heart of the city, see things and have experiences you could never have riding in the back of a taxi cab.

Posted by
885 posts

Paris is a super place to walk. Two exceptions: Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe are FAR from everything, and the Eiffel Tower always seems deceptively close. Take the metro or a boat, even if you’re feeling adventurous.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,

In the two months total we have spent in Paris we have never taken a cab. The subway? Yes. We often take the subway out to near our destination and then stroll home.

Like the Musee Marmotton. We subway out, stroll the park, go to this great under recommended museum. And the find something to eat on the way to somewhere else.

Paris is to be walked. Then again. Later in the day, when your legs and feet say, "Enough". Catch a cab. What is the harm? better a ride that tired crankiness or blisters for the next day.

Wayne iNWI

Posted by
2115 posts

We also walk whenever possible. We are 68 and average 8-12 miles a day walking in Europe. Aleve is our friend!

Posted by
21 posts

My teenaged son with leg braces (and the mood swings of a teen) said we should walk from our apartment near the Bastille to the Pompidou Center, and then he wanted to walk back. If he can do it, I would recommend it to you!

Posted by
16 posts

@MandySO1 thank you so much for that! How encouraging! Walking it is!!

Posted by
11335 posts

The only time we take taxis in Paris (or just about anywhere else) is between train station and lodging if it is more than a 15 minute walk. I refuse to do public trans with luggage anymore.

Posted by
5836 posts

We walked everywhere in the Marais but took the Bus 69 to the tower and outlying attractions. The Marais is walkable with no hills and pavement everywhere. Just mind the merde.

Posted by
5697 posts

But acknowledging in advance that using a taxi (for instance on the way back from a site) can be an acceptable option adds flexibility to planning, especially as one gets older or tireder.