Please sign in to post.

Visiting Paris in October - Has anyone done the Moulin Rouge dinner show?

Hi all,

I love this forum! We are going to be in Paris at the end of October. We were thinking of doing a dinner show at the Moulin Rouge. Any thoughts? It's a bit pricey but thinking with dinner you won't have to worry about the crowds at the show - you'll be seated enjoying your wine or champagne.

Seeing lots of mixed reviews. Would appreciate your input.

Also...besides the normal things is Paris. Anyone have some great tips on things to see - places to go that may be out of the norm.

As always - thank you in advance for your input.
Cheers.

Posted by
1369 posts

Your are correct on the mix reviews on the Moulin Rouge of go or no go. I guess its what you want to do and see. As for a day or evening trip, depending on return trains, Chartres may interest you. Especially the Chartres en Lumieres, https://www.chartresenlumieres.com/en/, a light show after sunset.

In Paris, L'Atelier des Lumieres, https://www.atelier-lumieres.com/en. I have seen the Van Gogh & Salvador Dali one in Paris, when the Van Gogh show came to San Francisco this year, it was not as good as the one in Paris.

Cezanne is currently on display until Jan 2023: https://www.atelier-lumieres.com/en

I recommend the exhibition.

Posted by
4389 posts

I think most would say, it's the most touristy thing you could do in Paris. Which some would like and some would loathe.

Would you see such a show if you were in Vegas?

Don't worry about things to do in Paris, make a list and make sure you see what matters to you whether it's someone else's list or not. As for day trips, Rick has a whole section on that. We did Strasbourg.

Posted by
94 posts

Why not go to Broadways' Moulin Rouge in London's West End? It's supposed to be incredible, we're going next month!

Posted by
1479 posts

@brushtim: thanks for the link. I just purchased a ticket for the Cezanne show for next month.

Posted by
37 posts

I have not done the dinner show, but a few years ago I went with some friends who wanted to go. We had champagne with the show, but no meal. To my great surprise I had SO much fun. Was it worth the price, my friends thought so, and at the end of the evening, so did I. So if it’s something you want to do, do it and don’t really worry about what other people think.

Posted by
1166 posts

Rick and I enjoy strolling the neighborhoods of a location, so touristy places usually are not on our list of enjoyable activities.

However, my daughter was in Paris with friends for her birthday and splurged on the Moulin Rouge show. So when she found out we were going to live in Paris for two weeks, she bought us tickets for my birthday.

We had the drinks package, no dinner. With drinks, they seat you close to the stage with a bottle of champagne. Thirty girls and twelve guys went through a dozen costume changes with over the top head pieces. The vintage theater was built in the late 1800's.

We were surprised that we were thoroughly entertained!

Posted by
14979 posts

I went 30 years ago........it was okay. I thought the shows in Vegas were better.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. We have decided to go so will report back on how we like it! Also looking at the Chartres in Lights show too! Thanks for the tip.

Posted by
84 posts

Please provide a review as we are going in April and were wondering about going. Never been to Paris before.

Posted by
13 posts

Will do! This is our first trip too so will share any other 'gems' we find. Have fun planning your trip!

Posted by
10188 posts

Glad you decided to go. I'd love to. We've seen a couple of documentaries on French TV about the selection process of dancers from all over the world, the rigorous training and performances. Bottle of champagne sounds good.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey metro
glad you're going, you'd regret it after you got back to states. pricey oh well, currency exchange is even enjoy. don't forget to get your "marilyn" move in on sidewalk!! LOL
talk about pricey, was there october 2019 and it was CRAZY, packed to the gills everywhere within paris. i was on a mission to find a good eclair. cafe deux magot (?) was 26E ouch. not the best either, shell was dry, didn't taste fresh, few glasses of wine helped. no regrets. have fun
aloha