Please sign in to post.

Visiting Notre Dame

We looked on the website and it says that the guided tours are free and for the day we are going- Wednesday 9/26 at 2pm. But we see other sites that say there is a fee. What is the difference between the free tour that the website describes vs. the tours that you pay for?

Posted by
16350 posts

This is the page from Notre Dame's website (in English) that references tours:

http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/en/visites-2/visites-offertes-par-la-cathedrale/

As stated on the site:
"Every day of the year, tours are available by the Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris and the Association C.A.S.A. (community home in the artistic Sites) in different languages to present the message of spiritual of this high place of Christianity, through its history, its architecture, its sculptures, its stained glass windows... The meeting place is located at the back of the Cathedral, under the great organ. These tours are free. No reservation is possible.

"Visits take place usually at the following times, but it is advisable to ensure visitors by calling beforehand at the reception desk of the Cathedral to the 01 42 34 56 10."

"English : Monday, Tuesday and Saturday at 14:30. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 14: 00
Guided visits - free of charge: Monday, Tuesday, Saturday 2.30 pm; Wednesday, Thursday, Freiday 2.00 pm"

I'm sure there are independent companies which also provide tours for a fee but I can't tell you what the differences would be between one of those or a free tour offered by the cathedral.

Posted by
83 posts

So I will assume that the "tours" offered on private websites are just tourist traps since Notre Dame does the tour for free. It doesn't even let you make a reservation, so I assume they take as many people as show up. We are going off season so I imagine it wont be overly crowded. Thanks for your help

Posted by
6278 posts

If you'd like to go to the top (which I recommend) there is a fee or it does happen to be included on the Paris Museum Pass. The views from the top are spectacular and its fun to be up by the bell and the gargoyles. It can be busy with a line. Both times I've gone to the top, I've gotten in line around 9:30, I think, which was a half hour before opening.

Posted by
8427 posts

To climb the Tower you have to make a reservation the morning you wish to climb. There is an ap that works close to the Cathedral or you show up at 7:30 and make a reservation on a machine and then return 15 minutes before your time slot. You pay then.

Posted by
6278 posts

Jane, that must be new, unless its just for peak season. I last went to the top January of 2017. Is it no longer on the Paris Museum Pass?

Posted by
8427 posts

You can use the Museum Pass to pay but the days of long long lines to go up are over; access goes t those who reserve time slots.

Posted by
10505 posts

C.A.S.A. Is a volunteer orgaization. In the summer it has the addition of young people from many countries who give tours in various religious sites. I’ve seen them only in the summer and at other places. But if they are offering a tour, that’s wonderful. It appears you call the number Kathy shared to be sure someone will be avaiable the day you want. Though it’s free, a donation to the organization would be appropriate at the end.

I wouldn’t write off private tours as tourist traps, as many are well-trained and knowledgeable, but C.A.S.A. does a good job.

Posted by
16350 posts

I wouldn’t write off private tours as tourist traps, as many are
well-trained and knowledgeable, but C.A.S.A. does a good job.

Agreed, don't assume private tours are "traps". There are any number of reasons someone might take a paid tour, such as the inability to attend a free one during the single daily times they're offered, or desire for one which covers more parts of the cathedral than free ones do, such as the towers and/or the exterior.

Editing to add, our OP will be with "parents who are in their early 80's and although prior to this summer, they were in superb shape, Mom's emergency surgery and other issues have really aged them" so the towers aren't advised for them anyway.

Posted by
1417 posts

Information on the new process of going up the Towers.
http://www.tours-notre-dame-de-paris.fr/en/News/No-more-queuing-to-go-up-Notre-Dame

Make reservations every day from 7:30am using the app. Or at Notre Dame tix machine
- You can only select a time slot for the same day.
Show Museum Pass when you get to the Ticket Office once inside the Towers

The App is now called DuckTheLine, it has a hand in the shape of a duck. It used to be called JeFile (Out of Line)

Enjoy your trip. I will be there in 8 months.