Please sign in to post.

Victory in Europe Day in Paris (May 8, 2020)

Hi everyone.

My husband and I are planning to spend several days in Paris in May 2020. It looks like we will be there on May 8, the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. I know it is a public holiday and some places are likely to be closed, but is it likely that there will be events/parades anything to commemorate the occasion? Just wondering to expect in Paris on that day.

Thank you!

Posted by
10030 posts

They usually do a ceremony at the flame honoring the Unknown Soldier (under the Arc de Triomphe) but I can’t think of anything else.

It’s also kind of fun, they dress all the city buses with French and European flags, so that is festive.

Posted by
4085 posts

If you want a big commemoration of VE day, go to the Netherlands where two full days mark their country's liberation and the end of the European war.

Posted by
7900 posts

I would think that the celebration in 2020 would be larger than most years, seeing that it will be the 75th anniversary, and likely the last major one for many Veterans. Of course different Countries observe the event in their own way, or may focus on a Liberation Day as opposed to VE Day. Still, it would be worth some searches or looking for an events page.