Please sign in to post.

versailles tours

Any recommendations for a private tour company for Versailles

Posted by
671 posts

No, but . . . we did a bike tour of Versailles that included so much of the grounds. You don't have to be an athlete to do these tours. We used Bike About, I think, and had a fabulous guide and an absolutely lovely day. The Palace was very enjoyable, but I think seeing the other buildings and the gardens truly enhanced the day.

Posted by
77 posts

Rick explains some options in his France and Paris guidebooks:
Tours: The 1.5-hour English guided tour gives you access to a few extra rooms (the itinerary varies) and lets you skip the long security check line (€22, includes palace entry, at least five tours in English between 9:00 and 15:00 April-Oct; off-season usually only at 9:30 and 14:00). Ignore the tours hawked near the train station (like Guidatours). You can book a tour in advance on the palace’s website, or reserve immediately upon arrival at the guided-tours office (to the right of the Château--look for yellow Visites Conferences signs). Tours can sell out by 13:00.
A free audioguide to the Château is included in your admission. Other podcasts and digital tours are available in the “multimedia” section at www.chateauversailles.fr.

You can also download the free Rick Steves' Audio App, which includes a Versailles tour, to Apple and Android devices for Rick's audio tours.

Posted by
11507 posts

Brands if you want to skip long lines.. consider buying the "Kings Apartment " tour .. sold on the official Versailles website.. you book for a specific time slot.. and enter via a separate entrance.. after your tour of the private apartments you can then tour the rest of the Chateau.

The Palace of Versailles has become so crowded.. its really not much fun anymore.. and I used to love touring it ( been many many times over the years).. the gardens and outer buildings ( ie Petit and Grand Trianon, and Marie Antionetts Hamlet )are still amazing and enjoyable.. and many bus tours from Paris do not give enough time to those areas , and I think missing those areas and just battling the heaving masses in the palace could discourage many people.

Posted by
11507 posts

ps Second Padams bike tour recommendation.. very fun.. we used Fat Tire but other companies are well reviewed also.. its a great day out and as said.. you do not have to be sporty to enjoy it.