Please sign in to post.

Versailles tour

Back in May I found a small group tour of the gardens of Versailles, Marie Antoinette house etc. You meet the guide at Gare de Lyon, ride train together, buy picnic lunch food at the Market, (included in price), do the tour, have picnic lunch, then tour over and you can make your way to the Palace if you want to visit. Nothing we couldn’t do on our own but it sounded appealing, especially a small group with a 24 hour cancellation policy. The problem— I cannot find where I wrote the name. I searched this Forum for the time period in which I found the tour info, but no luck. I often take screen shots to save info but no luck there either. I googled but did not come up with this tour. Do any of you know the tour I’m talking about?? It was about 90 euro, limited to 6 tourists. Hope someone can help— but if not, we’ll manage on our own.

Posted by
993 posts

The BEST thing we did when visiting Versailles was to go on one of their tours (we booked a fairly early one). I think we did the Apartments? Or something... but you meet over in another building and do not have to go into the line at all. The tour was great, it was like 9 euro extra... then we dumped out inside with the masses and it was a nightmare. SO MANY PEOPLE you could not even walk. Yuck. But the tour part was great! I HIGHLY recommend doing that!

I see that the tour you said didn't include the main part of Versailles, which makes sense since I think if you arrived in the afternoon... that line was insane.

Kim

Posted by
35 posts

Hello I did a lot of research and ended up booking directly with Bike About Tours. Much cheaper then going thru Viator. The description you gave is exactly what they offer plus if you have a museum pass it gets discounted as well. What better way to visit a chateau on 2 thousand acres of beautiful gardens.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks, all, for your replies! We are going in August and I want something with a 24 hour cancellation in case it’s too hot. My traveling companion will not go if it’s hot- which it probably will be. I have alternate plans to spend in Paris if we don’t go to Versailles—low key. We’re seniors and have been to Paris several times and are spending a few days in Paris before taking train to join RS Basque tour.

Posted by
3122 posts

Could someone please clarify -- is this a bicycling tour of the Versailles gardens? Or a walking tour? I'm not going any time soon, but if it is a walking tour I would love love love to have it on file.