Please sign in to post.

Versailles strategy

I have been to Versailles several times (with student groups) and have always arrived early in the morning, toured the palace and then wandered in gardens and le hameau. I am going again in May, this time with my husband, and I am wondering if it makes sense to visit the gardens and hameau first and get a timed entry ticket for the palace perhaps at 2 or 3 pm. Has anyone done that? Is the palace less crowded later in the day? Also, how far in advance do tickets go on sale online? Do timed-entry tickets sell out? Thanks in advance for your input!

Posted by
12172 posts

My strategy last time was to go straight to the hall of mirrors before the crowds then out to the gardens and petite palaces then back to the rest of the main palace. My strategy also leaves room for being done, even if you haven't seen literally everything.

I was fortunate last time. Rain was in the forecast and that really shut down the crowds. Even though there was almost no rain to disturb our visit, the place felt deserted compared to normal crowds.

Now I tell people to try to visit on a day with rain in the forecast, even more than getting there way early to line up.

Posted by
8099 posts

I don't know about the Hameau but the Trianons and such are not open in the morning. If you go on a fountain day, the fountains only run a short time morning and late afternoon so you want to organize around that.

Posted by
1377 posts

What I have done, in May as well, have gotten in line by 08:15. Headed straight to the Hall of Mirrors once inside, got great pictures of it being empty. Only two guards at the entrance and a lady that followed me in to do the same thing. Then I headed back towards the entrance and proceeded to tour the Palace. By time I got back to the Hall of Mirrors it was filling up. I also arrived at the Petit Trianon about 30 minutes before it opened, 11:30, headed in and went straight to the Hamlet. I had about 15 minutes to myself with a few groundskeepers. Great photo with it being empty. I had the Museum Pass, but tickets are on sale now if you are purchasing from the official site. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/plan-your-visit/tickets-and-prices

I will be returning ths May/June. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
139 posts

Thanks everyone. I guess my brilliant idea of doing the Trianon and Hameau first will not work. I didn’t look at the opening times :(. We will just have to deal with the crowds. I do plan to get timed entry tickets so at least we will not be waiting for hours in line just to get into the palace!