Please sign in to post.

Versailles Strategy

I will be going to Versailles with family on a Saturday in September so can see fountains and hear the music. I am thinking after reading all the advice that we should be in the security line at 8:00AM. We have a 1 day passport ticket. I am considering getting a private tour of the Kings apt later in the AM and go first directly to Hall of Mirrors and then back out to private tour entrance to do private tour and afterwards see the palace along with the crowds and a more crowded Hall of Mirrors after a 1 1/2 private tour. Does anyone know how long it may take to get to HOM(which I believe is up on first floor?) if early in security line and if it possible to get back out to make a private tour around 10 or so? Any strategy along those lines would be very helpful!

Posted by
11507 posts

The hall of mirrors will be the hall of crowds .. no more than 15-20 minutes after opening..

This is what I would do .

Get in the security line at 8 am.. and be the very first people in the palace.. a few folks have done this and reported back very satisfied with that technique.
I would schedule the Kings tour later than 10 myself.. 10;30 if available.. it takes a bit more than an hour to get through palace.. some folks would take 2 hours if they are really into the history etc.. but most folks can get through in an hour and 15 or 30 minutes.

AFTER seeing the public part of the palace.. then take the Kings Apartment Tour.

Sorry.. I think the music and fountain show is over hyped.. the "music" is very tinny piped in music, I was very disappointed with it.. The fountains are cool to see, but they only turn a few on at a time, about a couple hours apart, and only for 1/2 hr at a time.. so you will have to stay most of the day, and follow the schedule to see them all.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks so much for your advice. That timeline is what I had considered. Right now not offering a 10:30 tour as a choice. The website states the mirror and theatre grove fountains run every 10-15 mins so will see those after palace and tour. We are considering taking bikes around but not sure if able to go all around gardens to see the fountains and know can't take into Trianon area. I don't have high expectations but thought if go then go see the water flowing and music, lol! We think all this can be done by 4:30pm and then return to Paris. Does this seem doable?
Loved my trip to Victoria last year!

Posted by
1172 posts

The best part of Versailles for us was renting bikes and touring the property. The rest of it was so crowded and the audio guides so poor compared to what we have seen in other such locations ( Hampton Court Palace for example) that Versailles was a huge let down.