Please sign in to post.

Versailles

We will soon be traveling to Paris to join a tour Friday evening. We are flying in arriving Thursday but would like to go to Versailles early Friday morning before joining our group Friday at 5. I hope this is doable, but have read about the crowds. Can you give any tips on how to maximize our time? It happens to be a musical gardens day which may make it more crowded, not sure.

Posted by
32213 posts

Friday is probably as good a day as any to visit Versailles, but it's still probably going to be crowded. The only suggestion I can think of is to go very early and hopefully get there before the large coaches start to arrive. If you're able to buy a Museum Pass or whatever before you leave Paris, that will make things a bit quicker in terms of entrance to the Chateau. The Museum Pass will not provide entrance to the musical gardens, but it's not a big deal to buy a separate ticket for those (it's not that expensive). Once you venture into the gardens, be prepared for lots of walking, as they're HUGE! There is a small motorized train that runs from the Chateau to the lake, so that should help.

If you're travelling with an iPod Touch, iPhone or similar device, you might consider downloading Rick's free Audio Guide for Versailles. That will save a bit of time also, as you won't have to stand in the queue for an audio guide once you enter the Chateau.

I assume you're aware of the route to get from Paris to Versailles, via the RER?

Posted by
1369 posts

For my Versailles trip I caught the 7:00 or 7:10 RER-C to Gare de Versailles Chateau-Rive Gauche, its important to get on the correct RER-C line since there are two stations in Versailles, if you are coming from Paris. Its about a 10 min. walk to the entrance to the palace.

If you have already purchased your ticket or have the Museum Pass then the Security line forms in the middle of the Palace near the gates that are attached to the inner compound/courtyard. The Security Entrance/Tent/Walk way will be towards your left. There may be flags/poles/banners posted & or metal tubing forming the line area. Everyone goes through the security, unless you have a Tour scheduled then you enter at the far Right of the compound/building.
I got in line around 08:10 & I was about the 5th person in line. Once I went through security, I bypassed the headphone rentals, walked across the first compound/courtyard to the other Wing & followed the signs to the Hall of Mirrors, it was in French but easy to figure out. I got great photos of an empty Hall. Only myself, two security guards & a lady who followed me were in the Hall. Then I turned around headed back & completed the tour of the palace, buy time I got back to the Hall of Mirrors, it was filling up with people.
You can also rent bikes or a golf cart. The little train that transports you around the grounds was 4 Euros, not sure what it is now. It is a good 30 minute walk if you choose to from the Palace to Marie Antoinette's Hamel.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
1116 posts

I was in Versailles last week on a Tuesday which was also a musical fountains day. We arrived at 0830 and still had to wait 45 minutes to get inside thru security and to get an audio guide. I will tell you a tip to get in and avoid a line. First, buy your general ticket online for the palace and garden. Then, for an extra €6, buy a separate guided tour of the king's apts for a morning tour. By doing this, you will go in thru a separate entrance, no line at all and after the guided tour of the king's apt, they will drop you off so you can do your tour of the main palace. We had booked a 1 pm king's apt tour so we had to walk outside again and go in thru that entrance and go thru security again! Also, rent a golf cart for the gardens. We were already half way down when we realized we should have rented one. We were so tempted to flag one down and offer the €5 for a ride back! It's really a long day on your feet. We were there from 9-4 and didnt even have time to visit the Trianon and Marie Antiinette's village. Honestly, we were too tired!

By the way, unless it's the weekend they will only have 2 fountains running. With our luck, only one of the fountains was working. And being there in earlyMay, I was disappointed that there were no flowers in bloom yet.

Posted by
4535 posts

By the way, unless it's the weekend they will only have 2 fountains running. With our luck, only one of the fountains was working.

On fountain days, they turn them all on, just not all at once. They are staggered through the day at different times for about 15 minutes each. This is to conserve water, because they can't possibly pump that much water at once, and because that was how it was done historically (as the Sun King would roam around, the staff would turn fountains on and off). The Neptune Fountain is turned on at the end of the day.

Show up before the doors open to avoid crowds and if possible, have a pass or pre-purchased ticket to avoid ticket lines. Enjoy a relatively crowd free palace, then enjoy the gardens for as long as you wish. Even on fountain days the gardens are not crowded as they are so massive. Enjoy a picnic lunch by the canal or get a bite in one of the restaurants there. The tram out to the Trianons and Hamlet is better/faster than walking. Or try renting bikes (also down by the canal).

Posted by
103 posts

I cannot fully confirm Douglas' comment, but when we were there last Tuesday the only fountain running was the mirror fountain which ran every 10 minutes. The guide they give only indicates Mirror and Theatre as the fountains that run on a schedule and Neptune does not run on Tuesdays. If any other fountains run, we did not see them in the 2.5 hours we were there, and there is no posted schedule either if indeed more of them run. We were pretty disappointed.

As far as schedule, we did the gardens first and came back to the evaporated line and shrinking crowds around 4. 3 would have been better as I would have liked more time in the chateau, but 1.5 hours did the job to see it all.