Please sign in to post.

Versailles

Any recommendations on a day trip from Paris to Versailles? I've been reading about bike tours, coach travel tours, etc. Just looking for suggestions. Family of 5 (3 teenagers).

Thank you,

Marcy

Posted by
8060 posts

Just buy ticket on line, take the RER C to Versailles Chateau/Rive Gauche and tour Versailles -- there is precisely zero reason to take a tour and it just adds unnecessary expense.

Unless you all have Navigo Decouverte weekly passes, be sure to buy two RER tickets each -- one to go and one to return. The ticket is good to and from. any metro stop in Paris to Versailles on the RER.

Posted by
13946 posts

I agree with Janet and will just add to make sure you are pickpocket proof when you are in the Palace. I was there on a Rick Steves tour once and I saw the guard in the room we were in call our tour guide over. She then said into the headsets that the guard told her there were probably pickpockets working the room and to make sure we were vigilant. Most of us had on our RS money belts so didn't have much of value in our purses but it's good to be on the look out.

Posted by
14 posts

Can I ask you another question...when traveling around within the city, taking the train to Versailles---will we need to carry our passports with us at all times? thank you

Posted by
3698 posts

You are supposed to carry the passport as proof that you are legally in the country in case an official asks and you need it at stores if you are requesting a VAT refund. I carry mine in the inner zipped pocket of my handbag. My husband does not carry his because he feels that he cannot really secure it and he does not want to ask me to carry it in my bag.
As to tours of Versailles, my daughter when she was in her teens really enjoyed the Fat Tire Versailles Bike Tour. My son, currently 17, still has very strong negative feelings from his first trip to Versailles when he was 5 and was almost trampled by a tour group and has refused to return.

Posted by
13946 posts

I’m on the side of the “carry it” group. There is a division on the forum but to me it’s the only official document that shows I’ve been legally admitted. I wear it in a money belt or a zipper compartment in my purse secured with a carabiner.

I also always want it with me in case there is some sort of catastrophe and I either need to take a train somewhere or can’t return to my hotel.

Posted by
1430 posts

I carry a color copy of the main page with photo and passport number and leave the actual passport in the hotel safe. I’ve only needed to produce it when checking in at accommodations and on international trains ( not daytrip trains unless you have a train pass) & at airports- times when you would have it with you in any case. These days, a photo of it in your cell phone is a good backup plan as well.

Posted by
230 posts

I NEVER carry my passport with me, leave it in hotel room or safe. There is a much better chance of it being pickpocketed than that you will be asked to show it to police or other authorities. On my 7 RS tours, all the guides said to leave it at hotel even though the “official” rule is to carry passport.