Please sign in to post.

Versailles advice

Hi all,

We will be visiting Versailles 3/25. 4 in the party with one under 18. I have booked the Kings Apartment Tours online for all 4 and three of us will have the museum pass for main entry. Other than the fountains will be on that day - we can decide if we want to see that when we are there. Did I get it right for the most part? Our tour is at 11:30. How much time before the tour do we need to plan on for the security checkpoint or does that tour have a separate checkpoint as I have read?

The private tour is only free for under age 10 - so I bought ticket for son. I was not going to get him a MP because regular entry is free for him.

Did I interpret that correctly?

Posted by
11507 posts

Sounds fun,, you did right.. you do need a ticket for your son for the tour.. but not the rest of estate or palace.
There is a separate entry for the Kings Apartment tour.. so you do not need to arrive way ahead and get in main security line, if you go on the Versailles website it does have a map that shows you the Tour Desk entrance.. as you face the entrance its on the right.

Posted by
15829 posts

Apologies if you already know this but it wasn't clear….

Other than the fountains will be on that day - we can decide if we
want to see that when we are there

You do know that the museum pass doesn't cover the Grandes Eaux Musicales (musical fountains in the gardens), right? You'll have to purchase an additional ticket if you wish to do those.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-faq-16.htm

Posted by
51 posts

To add to this topic... I too am curious on the MP with the fountain ticket. Should I just purchase the Passport ticket (which includes the fountains) or use the MP and purchase the additional ticket at the gate? Is that how that would work? I assume a long line then to get the additional fountain ticket?

I too will get a kings apt. tour when I visit in June.

thanks.

Posted by
29 posts

My understanding is that:
The MP does not include the gardens when the fountains are on.
You can buy the additional ticket for the fountain show later once you are inside - not from the big ticket line.
The MP will get you in to the big security line and bypass the ticket line.
The apartment tour will get you into a different - shorter security line.

We will have active MP at the time of our visit otherwise I would have just bought the one day Passport.

I will report back when we get home!

Posted by
51 posts

thanks kathy! got my fountain tickets... now I just need my king aprt. reservation this weekend.

David- look forward to hearing how things go.

Posted by
78 posts

Reviewed this thread..all very useful information. We will be in Paris in early May. Is is necessary to purchase tickets this far in advance or could we wait until we arrive in Paris and purchase a day or 2 ahead. If no access to printer in Paris can the tickets be sent to your phone?

Thanks.

Posted by
29 posts

Just back. I had everything accurate. We did not buy the garden pass in advance due to uncertain weather, but as it was nice we got the garden tickets inside a special area and did not have to wait long - and did not go out to the big line for them... The fountains were wonderful. My favorite was the reflecting pool.

My wife and I had visited in 1990. I don't remember going to MA's hamlet. My daughter's comment is that it was just like Disneyland for MA.

If you know what day you will go - book the tour in advance.

Museum passes rule!

Navigo cards rule!