Please sign in to post.

versailles

Need recommendations for how best do a day trip to Versailles from hotel in Eiffel Tower area. Only day I have open is a Tuesday. Bus, train, tour company that will pick me up at hotel?
Guided tour at palace or get audio guide?
Gardens will not be green, no fountain show SO anyhthing else I can do in area?

Posted by
8439 posts

There is no point IMHO in doing this on a tour. Book your time slot/ticket ahead of time. You can explore the grounds, the Trianon, Hameau etc in winter. The fountains are not running so the garden is free but IMHO not interesting when the fountains are not running.

Posted by
1625 posts

I highly recommend booking The Kings Apartment Tour, which is a guided tour offered on the official website. It requires a ticket purchase and the purchase of the tour all which can be performed online. We did the first one of the day at 9:30 AM and it ends in the Palace you just walk in, so no line to stand in.

It is very easy to get from Central Paris to Versailles by Metro there are good instructions on the official website.
We rented a golf cart to travel around the gardens, get to the gardens and park.

Posted by
14544 posts

It depends on exactly where you’re staying but the easiest way in the Eiffel Tower area is to walk to an RER C station and take that train to the Versailles Rive Gauche/Chateau station.

If you share your hotel name or street we can be more specific.

Here is a link to the Metro map. Line C is the thick gold line just south of the river so depending on your starting point you would head to one of about 3 stations.

https://www.ratp.fr/plan-de-ligne/img/metro/Plan-Metro.1669996027.png

I looked at the routing on Citymapper and it sent me via bus to Gare Montparnasse which seems quite awkward. I was disappointed because I use CityMapper a lot in Paris. Maybe it’s because I didn’t change the leaving time or maybe it’s a manifestation (day strike).