Please sign in to post.

Verdon Gorge

Hello,
What is the best way to visit the sights and hikes of the Verdon Gorge, without a car? I'll be in France in August-September and really want to go visit the Gorge, but won't have access to a car. Which places are best to take a train from, and into what city? And then from then, what do I do / how do I get there? After researching online, it seems pretty difficult to reach the Gorge without a car...

Posted by
1005 posts

According to Rome to Rio, you can get from Nice to Castellane on a bus, or all the way to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie if you transfer. See Rome to Rio for more details. The bus between Castellane and Moustiers-Sainte-Marie appears to go north of the gorge for most of its route. You could stay in either town and have a local guide or a taxi take you out to the gorge.

I've done the gorge in a car and really I can't imagine trying to do this by public transportation. Frankly, after seeing the Grand Canyon and other canyons in the US, the Gorge du Verdon is a bit of a snore. I'd consider going elsewhere if you don't have a car.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi!

I am a local tour guide based in Moustiers sainte Marie at the entrance of the Verdon Gorges and I also provide transfers services from / to the Verdon Gorges. It is possible to visit the Gorges without a car, you will have to use public transport and private transport such as me. If you wish you can directly contact me with your request and I will help you out. The name of my company is "Getaway In Provence, Tours & Transfers", I have a website www.getawayinprovence.com
Send me an email with your request and details about your schedule and I will send you information.
Have a very nice day,
Auriane