Please sign in to post.

VAT refund

Hello all. I have a question regarding a VAT refund. I made a purchase in Paris in December 2022 and chose to have a credit to my credit card. I scanned my tax form at CDG before departing. I was told at the store where I made the purchase that the refund takes about 30 days and it has now been 30 days with no refund yet. I have checked online and it states that my form was scanned successfully and is being processed. It also states about 30 days to get refunded and to contact them if it hasn’t been credited. I emailed but no response yet. Should I wait patiently or worry? Has anyone ever had an issue receiving their refund? Thanks!

Posted by
10223 posts

I always received the refund. Wait a few more weeks.

Posted by
4140 posts

It does take a while . I returned from Vienna on 11/6 having processed two VAT refunds st the airport , and my credit card posted the refunds only about ten days ago .

Posted by
27 posts

We were in Paris early November for 10 days and just received our VAT refund last week. Definitely slower than our other trips but it did make it :)

Posted by
427 posts

Hmm. When I lived in the U.S. and traveled to Europe either for work or leisure, I never bothered with the refund. I figured I was taking advantage of the things (museums, free cultural events, infrastructure, mass transit) that taxes go to pay for, so why shouldn't I pay my share?

I've often wondered if anyone bothered with that, and it looks as if they do. I'm curious: is it common for travelers to do that? What fraction do you guys estimate bother with it?

Posted by
4140 posts

Sammy , for small purchases I wouldn't bother . On my last trip I had purchased several; small pieces of decorative porcelain , so the refund amounted to $70 . The two merchants involved , provided the necessary receipts on request in the shops , and it only took a few moments to submit them at the airport prior to departure .

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks everyone for your timely responses. I will give it more time before worrying about it. I’ve never had issues with the refund in the past but they did arrive more quickly. I guess things are just moving a little slower these days. I am not exactly sure but I assume the VAT tax that Europeans are subject to is to cover healthcare, pensions and other things such as those. I am not entitled to those things because I’m not a European citizen. While in Paris I paid for all my museum entrances and anything else I did. Therefore, I have always opted for the VAT refund.

Posted by
8090 posts

We don't do VAT often but did have a large purchase this fall; the money was refunded within a week after we scanned it on Pablo -- I mailed the paperwork but it clearly had no reached Poland before the VAT was in my account.