Please sign in to post.

V E Day 2017

I will be arriving in Paris on May 7, and I just realized VE Day is the next day. I'd like to see a parade or celebration for this holiday, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on the internet. Does anyone know where I'm likely to participate in the day's events? I am thinking the Les Invalides or Hotel de Ville, but that's not based on any evidence... mostly because I have seen public fairs and celebrations in those spots on previous trips. Thanks for any assistance!

Posted by
7039 posts

I couldn't find anything specific either, but I think you're right in thinking there will be commemorations (and possibly parades) around Hotel de Ville and Les Invalides and I'm sure there will be a wreath laid at the tomb of the unknown soldier at the Arc d'Triomphe. You may have to wait until you arrive on the 7th and ask your hotel desk if they know of any specific celebrations and what time.

Posted by
449 posts

Hi erink009:

Good luck in finding a VE day celebration. Back in 1995, which was the 50 year anniversary of VE, I arrived in Paris just a few days before that day. I expected to see some type of military parade but all that happened, as far as I can recall, was a flyover by jets. A newspaper article stated that the VE celebrations in London and Moscow were great and were minimal in Paris because the big day here was Liberation Day in August.

Let us know if there was a VE day celebration of any substance.

Posted by
3122 posts

Similarly, we were there for VE Day in May 2015 -- the 60th anniversary. We expected the American Cemetery in Normandy to have a special commemoration and wrote to them ahead of time inquiring about this. They didn't have anything special, but were open as usual. They suggested that there might be a ceremony in Bayeux, but we didn't pursue that possibility.

I believe they did have a special ceremony on the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion, but that was the American Cemetery, not any other location in France.

Posted by
1143 posts

In Normandy, the anniversary of D-day is certainly celebrated. I would imagine in Paris, it is the liberation of Paris (August 25th) that would be more observed than either D-day or VE day.

Posted by
9632 posts

The main thing is the official ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe mid to late morning, where the President of the Republique participates. This year the 8th is the day after the second round of the presidential election, so the newly elected president, even though he/she won't have taken office, will participate along with outgoing President Hollande.

Posted by
4051 posts

The First World War, "la grande guerre", draws more French ceremonies than WW2. Normandy ceremonies are on the anniversary of the landing. For Second World War commemoration, go to the Netherlands which has two full days of memorials in May, one to mourn the losses and the next day to celebrate liberation.