Please sign in to post.

Uber Paris

I was wondering if Uber in Paris is safe to use? We have some late night (8 - 10) dinner reservations and I'm not sure that we want to walk 2 miles in the dark. Has anyone had any experiences using Uber in Paris?

Posted by
15821 posts

Where is the restaurant? Could you just hop the metro?

Posted by
2466 posts

Just take a regular taxi.
There is no reason to believe that Uber is safer than a regular Parisien taxi.
If you don't speak French, just print out the complète address, including the Postal Code - that way there won't be any confusion.

If you want to book ahead, use G7 Taxis by phone or on their website. They will send an SMS describing the color and make of the car that will pick you up.

Otherwise, you can hail a taxi at the nearest busy intersection with a green light on top.
There are always taxis around - going home after midnight is not unusual.

Posted by
9420 posts

Uber in Paris is very safe. We used Uber many times when we were there in Feb. Much more convenient than taxis. Love Uber.

Posted by
9594 posts

Uber in Paris is fine, taxis in Paris are fine, public transport in Paris is fine. When are you going to be here? If late enough in May or June, it will also be light very late for a nice stroll!

Posted by
7209 posts

Just used Uber several times in March around Paris. Used Uber more because of the simplicity of the app. There are probably apps for the taxis, too, but since I'm familiar with Uber it was a breeze.

Posted by
15821 posts

If late enough in May or June, it will also be light very late for a
nice stroll!

Good point. But we did quite a lot of walking after dark (in Sept.) and didn't feel unsafe at all so leave the option open? Nothing like a balmy evening in Paris!

Posted by
11294 posts

1) Dining in Paris at 8 to 10 PM is not "late" - it's the normal dinner time.

2) Paris is not like some US cities where the sidewalks roll up at 5 PM as everyone goes home to the suburbs. At 10 PM in Paris, the streets are packed with people coming home from dinner, going out to bars and cafes, headed into or coming out of a movie, etc. The city is hardly deserted at that hour.

Whether you want to walk two miles after dinner is a different issue - but you don't have to worry about safety if you choose to walk part or all of the way.

Posted by
1806 posts

We used Uber a number of times in Paris last summer. No problems. Very fast pick up times as there are many Uber drivers around Paris, even very late in the evening we never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes.

Posted by
3702 posts

As said above, Uber in Paris is fine as are taxis and mass transit. I use all three depending on situation. Going to dinner way out in the 16th for example, then I might the metro there or the taxi from a taxi stand near my apartment which always seems to have taxis. But returning home, I'll take an Uber to avoid the dispatch fees for taxis and to avoid wandering around trying to find a taxi stand.

Posted by
2466 posts

You don't have to look for taxi stands anymore.
All you have to do is look for a taxi with a green light on top, meaning it's available.
A red light on top means it isn't.
Best to stand at a busy intersection and stick out your arm and smile.