Please sign in to post.

Uber in Paris

I just got an e-mail from Rick extolling the virtues of using Uber in Paris. However, my airbnb host e-mailed me 2 days ago that Uber is no longer used in France. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

Posted by
9601 posts

Your AirBnB host is wrong. Uber is still alive and well in Paris.

Signed,

someone who took an Uber in Paris today

Posted by
11507 posts

Question.. why do people use Uber? We don't have it here ( at least not that I have ever heard of anyone ever using it.. ) we take the bus or taxi.. and Paris has excellent buses and the metro.. plus to us reasonable taxis.. so what is the advantage of having a stranger pick you up in their own car.. sorry it seems super creepy to me?

Posted by
41 posts

I've used Uber in Los Angeles & New York City & it worked well. People use it because it is so much cheaper than a taxi, especially in NYC.

Posted by
1097 posts

cheaper, cleaner, drivers don't drive like maniacs, cars are actually built in this century, you can communicate with them when necessary and they understand you and care what you are saying, they'll hang around to make sure you get in your house/car/train/etc, sometimes they even give you water, have a phone charger if you need one.... if you don't care for the business model, you don't have to use it, but that doesn't mean it is evil and should be outlawed

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you others for the Uber report. We always use it here, but from the app on our phones. We can't use our phones in Paris except for email or Google with wireless, no texting or calling. Perhaps we can load Uber onto our tablet? If we do that, can we use the same Uber app in Paris? I don't even know. Maybe it will work on our phone. and we can't get a SIM card there. Our carrier doesn't allow it.

Posted by
3702 posts

I use the Uber app that is on my phone and tablet in Paris. It worked exactly the same way in Paris that it works here in the US. I generally take taxis but there are times when Uber is the better choice and times when it is not. In a way Uber can be easier than a taxi because I can type in my destination and don't have to worry about my abuse of the French language. Perhaps the AIrBnB host was referring to Uber Pop, which I believe is no longer offered in Paris. Or perhaps he or she is a taxi driver or close to one and engaging in some wishful thinking.

Posted by
9601 posts

Yes, it's the same app, but you're right, if you don't have data on your plan, you're not going to be able to use it.

Just as if your phone was turned off back home, you wouldn't be able to find an Uber either.

As for why a person would take an Uber-- I'm a devotee of the metro and buses myself, but there are times when you need to make a trip that's longer or less well connected by public transport, or you need to do it in less time, or you need to haul some stuff . . . for the same reason you would take a taxi, you would take an Uber. Except it's cheaper and cleaner and usually a more pleasant experience.

Also, to be honest, after the taxi drivers got SO nasty last summer destroying property during their protests against Uber, I kind of made a decision for myself to avoid taxis. I can understand that their business model is hurting and they are angry, and they have the right to protest, but when it got into verbal menaces (which I experienced myself) and property destruction, they really lost any sympathy from me.

As with anything, YMMV.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks, Kim, I thought we might be able to use it on our tablet with just our wi fi if we download all the info. they need before we go. I guess if we buy a phone in Paris, we can download the Uber app there. I like to use Uber for all the reasons you have described. By the way, what does ymmv mean?

Posted by
5697 posts

I just wanted to know how you got an email from Rick ...

Posted by
2466 posts

I take regular Taxis Parisiens several times a week, and have for more than 10 years.
I have never been in a dirty taxi, only had one instance of a driver taking evasive action to avoid an accident (perhaps could be construed as "driving like a maniac"), never had problems with drivers taking me on a "scenic tour" or being overcharged. I have never had difficulty flagging a taxi in the street, and never had a problem using companies like TaxisG7, when I needed to reserve a cab. There are many more Taxis Parisiens than in the past, the drivers are trained professionals, and I think it's time that people stop believing out-dated horror stories about using them. If you don't speak French, always hand the driver the complete printed address of where you want to go, and include the Postal Code.

I think Uber is highly overrated - and yes, I have tried them, just to see what the fuss was about. Uber is not always cheaper, and there are many restrictions about where they can and cannot pick up passengers. A bottle of water just doesn't impress me enough to use Uber.

Posted by
1097 posts

Chex - I think taxis must be generally a different experience in Europe than they are in US cities. I haven't had as much experience there as in the US. I generally take the metro or walk in European cities, except for a cab from the airport to my hotel on arrival. I'll take Uber over a San Francisco or Chicago cab anytime.

Posted by
41 posts

Chex, I do use metro. My question was just for when I want to get a ride after metro is closed or I just don't feel like it for one reason or another. I really like Uber here & think it's often less expensive than a taxi & don't have to use my poor French as much. Thanks anyway.