Please sign in to post.

Uber in Paris

Can anyone comment on Uber in Paris? I'd prefer to take it rather than a regular taxi to the airport. Can one reserve a ride in advance? I've never used it in the U.S.

Posted by
1368 posts

I used Uber this past May and June in Paris. No issues, but I did not reserve it ahead of time for the airport. I just requested it through my App before we walked out of the apartment. There were about 5 cars in our immediate area according to the App & one arrived in less then 5 minutes.

Taxis G7 is another taxi company and are reliable, they to have an App.https://www.g7.fr/en/
You can call the night before and reserve a taxi, they have English speaking operators or use the App. There is a small fee for reserving one.

Posted by
2466 posts

There are fixed rates to and from both CDG and ORY airports, now.

These rates are good for a total of 4 passengers and their luggage. There is no charge for luggage, anymore.
Depending on which side of the river you're located on, CDG costs 50 or 55 EU and ORY costs 30 or 35 EU.
There's really no need to call Uber, especially with the fixed rates.

Most residents use G7 Taxis - you can book online, by app, or by phone - all with English-speaking operators, if needed.

Posted by
3688 posts

You cannot reserve a car ahead of time with Uber. I don't like using it for the airport for that reason. I am not exactly sure why anyone would prefer to take an Uber to the airport nowadays in Paris with the fixed rates for taxis. With Uber, you have the possibility of surge pricing -- I have seen (and sadly had to pay) 8X the regular rate. I have used Uber in Paris and here in the US and generally speaking I like it but to me, it is not the better choice for a private car ride to the airport.

Posted by
483 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses...

I didn't understand Uber, that you can't reserve it before. Apparently, you can only use a smartphone + app to use it (I just bought a smartphone especially for Europe).

It sounds like G7 might be the best bet; again, I wasn't able to make a reservation for my trip back to CDG, on my PC, that is.

Posted by
2622 posts

One other comment about Uber - not in Paris, but in the US - my daughter uses it in Washington DC all the time. And usually they show up but sometimes they simply do not. It's not something I would rely on for a ride to the airport.

Posted by
14503 posts

Hi,

This may not be pertinent to your itinerary at all. If you're going to Germany, Uber is banned , ie outlawed from doing business....good!

Posted by
9550 posts

You can reserve in advance with G7 either on their website or via their English-specific telephone number. There is a seven-euro booking fee for booking a taxi in advance.

Posted by
2466 posts

If you call G7 Taxis on your phone the day before you want to leave, the dispatcher will send you a text message confirming the make and color of the taxi which will pick you up in the morning. Easy-peasy.
Make certain to be waiting outside on the sidewalk about 5 minutes before pickup time.
The driver will confirm your name before you get in the taxi.
Depending on the time of day you leave, allow at least 1 hour or more for travel time to the airport.

Posted by
483 posts

I'm still uncertain as to whether I could actually take the RER B to the airport from the 18th arrondissement on a Sunday morning at around 6:30 am (flight at 10:30 am). As I will be staying in an apartment, and not a hotel, I'm not sure how to get a "regular" taxi, as I think you have to go to a taxi stand (as in Rome, you don't hail a taxi in the street).

Woops. Actually, it is clear now: I have to call a taxi company, and it seems prudent to do so the day before.

I'll only have a rolling backpack (on wheels). Does the RER-B Express run on Sunday mornings (I understand the train goes through some sketchy neighborhoods, and there have been roving bands that have robbed people on otherwise empty trains, in the past).

I'd have to get to the Gare du Nord from Mercadier-Poissonniers Metro station to take the RER-B, which I would actually didn't mind at all when I went to Paris in May for the 1st time in a long long while.

I guess I'm crossing Uber off my list, as I read somewhere else that one Paris traveler also said s/he would not rely on Uber either.

Posted by
10176 posts

FYI--you can flag a taxi in Paris. I don't know where you got that info. I do it all the time. OTOH, don't count on a taxi being at the neighborhood taxi stand just waiting. They can be empty.

It would be easy for you to take the #4 metro to Gare du Nord to catch the RER to the airport. You can check the itinerary on ratp.fr.
As for robbery, I'm not sure where you're getting the impression the RER is a cesspool for robberies. There was one incident on a different line that made the news a few years ago where a bunch of teenagers robbed everyone in a train car.

You can find out about the express train on the ratp site.

Finally, a call to G7 would get you a taxi, too.

Posted by
32715 posts

Use http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee for the official planner, or use the easy to use app. Fill in the blanks and watch the magic.

Spell correctly though.

This Sunday, par example, 06:20 from Marcadet-Poissonniers 3 stops to Gare du Nord, change to the RER-B with one stop and arrive at CDG at 6:54.

I haven't heard of the trouble you speak of. It could happen anywhere, in any country, as a one-off.

Posted by
483 posts

Thanks for the info on hailing a taxi on the street. That is, if you find one. Not so sure on a Sunday morning if you'd have to wait around, never having flown out of Paris at that time.

It would be easy for you to take the #4 metro to Gare du Nord to catch the RER to the airport. You can check the itinerary on ratp.fr..

This is what I pulled up the first time I started to see what kind of Metro/RER connection there might be from rue du Mont Cenis to CDG. Afterwards I put in my exact date and time, and I came up with various bus + RER B connections. I thought to myself, "Maybe that means the line 4 will be down for construction, etc."

It's still about a 10-minute walk to Marcadet-Poissonniers, but that's doable, I think, as I think the topography will allow it, not having to go up and down a staircase/hillside.

I actually prefer taking the Metro/RER to being in a taxi, as I am able to get a better sense of where and how to get from point A to point B, as well as a sense of independence, though, if there is a strike, all bets are off.

You must know Paris well to be able to think "ligne 4 + RER-B/Gare du Nord"!

Posted by
10176 posts

I lived on the south end of that line for many years, among other things.

Correct, many fewer taxis floating around the 18th than the heavily touristic areas. Unlikely to be able to flag one.

Results plugging in this coming Sunday into RATP with an arrival at CDG of 7:30:

leave Marcadet-Poissoniers at 6:45 a.m.
arrive Gare du Nord 6:53
depart Gare du Nord 6:57 ( 4 minutes to change so scoop it out beforehand or take an earlier metro)
arrive CDG 7:24

Use Nigel's link to see for yourself. Your date could be different or have construction work, as you said.

Posted by
483 posts

I wonder if I am typing in things correctly, as before I've gotten a bus route to Gard du Nord (I think bus no. 31); today I tried and I got a message "too far in advance," Also, my eyes aren't quite what they used to be...

In any case, I do very much appreciate the efforts of the other posters to run through the site and come up with the Metro + RER solution. As I'm going to be staying in one spot the entire duration of my visit to France, in the 18th, and also plan to take short one-day trips outside of Paris (returning back to my home base each day), I will some opportunity to walk to M: Marcadet-Poissonniers and the Gare du Nord and familiarize myself with the circuit, so to speak. Does anyone know if one can freely change between the Metro and RER or if one needs to buy a new ticket to ride the latter after getting off the former?

Thanks!

Posted by
211 posts

Can you reserve G7 for other things, like a ride to Gare de Lyon from your hotel?

Posted by
11294 posts

"Does anyone know if one can freely change between the Metro and RER or if one needs to buy a new ticket to ride the latter after getting off the former?"

One ticket does the whole thing, as long as you don't exit the system. You buy a ticket to the airport, and it's good for any needed Metro rides as well. You will have to re-insert your ticket when changing between the Metro and the RER, as well as when leaving the RER at the airport, so keep it handy and uncrumpled.

Posted by
14503 posts

That's correct, RER B to Gare du Nord from Roissy. (the airport) . If you always stay at Gare du Nord, as I do, (2 star hotel), that route becomes ingrained, where you know the buses too should you get tired of using the Metro. Gare du Nord is also a big bus junction and has a bus depot.

Posted by
483 posts

One ticket does the whole thing, as long as you don't exit the system. You buy a ticket to the airport, and it's good for any needed Metro rides as well. You will have to re-insert your ticket when changing between the Metro and the RER, as well as when leaving the RER at the airport, so keep it handy and uncrumpled.

Assuming I bought a roundtrip ticket (Paris - CDG - Paris) at Roissy, on the day of my return, would I be able to use the return portion of that RT portion ticket to enter the Metro at Mercadet-Poissonioers to get to Gare du Nord to take the RER-B?

Posted by
10176 posts

Yes. Or if you have a weekly pass, you can use that. Look up Navigo on the RATP site.

Posted by
1 posts

there is another possibility that nobody has indicated yet: bus shuttle

There are a number of bus shuttle lines (see http://en.lebusdirect.com/lines-and-schedules.html) that goes to Orly or Roissy airports.

I would NOT recommend them in the evening or during the week, because of the TRAFFIC , but on a SUNDAY morning this could be useful;

Price is around 10-15€ one way trip from memory

Posted by
3688 posts

Yes but Denny is staying in Montmartre so Le Bus Direct is not really an option from that area.

Posted by
9550 posts

@Skip - yes.

Just like any taxi, you can reserve a ride from anywhere to anywhere.

Also, to anyone reading, there's no reason to avoid Uber in Paris. It works quite well.

Posted by
5202 posts

Denny,
You may be interested in reading this post about how to get around in Paris.

When we were in Paris we purchased the Navigo Decouverte (week) pass ( Thanks to Janet's advice!) & it was very convenient & we didn't have to fuss around with small paper Metro tickets!

On a separate note... Do plan to arrive at the CDG airport at least 3 hours before your flight's departure, since you may have to wait in several long lines prior to reaching your departure gate.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
83 posts

we are in Pariis. arrived Sunday AM (from Seattle ). walked out to the taxi and there were 3 waiting. very easy. I was strongly discouraged to use the RER unless you know what you are doing. also you might want to check if the Uber drivers can access the same lanes as taxis. I see lots of taxi's here. we were given this number to schedule our return taxi to the air port in English -- I was told you'll have no problem getting a taxi at the airport but it's best to reserve one for the ride back. 01.41.27.66.99. G7

Posted by
10176 posts

check if the Uber drivers can access the same lanes as taxis

No, they can't.

Posted by
483 posts

we are in Pariis. arrived Sunday AM (from Seattle ). walked out to the taxi and there were 3 waiting. very easy. I was strongly discouraged to use the RER unless you know what you are doing. also you might want to check if the Uber drivers can access the same lanes as taxis. I see lots of taxi's here. we were given this number to schedule our return taxi to the air port in English -- I was told you'll have no problem getting a taxi at the airport but it's best to reserve one for the ride back. 01.41.27.66.99. G7.

A fellow Seattleite, thank you.

I've done the RER-B before when I was staying in the 7th, and it was actually pretty good because of the time of day (Delta direct from Seattle).

My only real problem this time, I think, is the return to CDG. I would like to reserve a taxi, probably G7, once I get a mobile telephone number.