Please sign in to post.

Uber in Paris

M’y husband is unable to walk as well as he used to and we will need to use taxis, but is Uber and option in Paris? If so, are there specific rules that must be followed. Thank you.

Posted by
2537 posts

Uber is available in Paris but buses could also work very well for you.

Consider using the services from Chauffeur Privé or Taxify which have become possibly more popular in Paris than Uber.

Posted by
9459 posts

Yes, Uber is here. It works just the same as at home. however, for the past few months it seems that their estimated arrival time (to pick you up) is, shall we say, optimistic at best. That is to say, you think "oh they'll be here in four minutes, fine, I'll take Uber," and then 15 minutes later they're still telling you they'll be there to get you in four minutes . . or five. Tocard's suggestion to try one of the other companies is a good one.

Posted by
473 posts

We used taxis in Paris because I ended up with a broken toe. Fairly inexpensive and they have use of the bus/taxi lane and Uber does not. It helps having the address on your phone or a business card.

Posted by
110 posts

Rich,
Did you have any difficulty finding a cab?
Thanks,
Bob

Posted by
183 posts

My wife and I used Uber several times a year ago with no problems. The UBER app worked just as it does in the US

Posted by
1058 posts

Uber is not popular in many parts of Europe. They are known for exploiting their drivers on 'zero hours' contracts and trying to get around local regulations. Wherever we travel in the world we try to support local businesses, rather than multi national corporations. Why not take a local taxi in Paris? They are plentiful and can be hailed just like in (say) New York.

Posted by
1329 posts

Thry cannot br hailed like in NYC. You have to either call them or go to a taxi stand (or hotel,etc)

Posted by
2537 posts

Thry cannot br hailed like in NYC.

If you mean that a taxi cannot be hailed within 50 meters of a taxi stand, that is true. Otherwise you can certainly flag down any taxi with green lights illuminated next to his taxi globe on the top of his car.

Posted by
3985 posts

Thry cannot br hailed like in NYC.

You can't hail an Uber (or Lyft) in NYC. Use the app.

Posted by
956 posts

We were just in Paris a few weeks ago. On three occasions, after a late evening activity, we didn't want to take public transport and used Uber instead. It was 100% as easy and convenient as it has been for us in the US. We loved having a set price for the drive. I understand that everyone has different experiences, but it worked great for us!

Posted by
137 posts

Paris was actually my first Uber experience. I traveled with my mother, who had swollen feet/ankles from so much walking. We took a combo of buses and Uber, depending on when/where we were going. Plus, the a/c felt so good on those hot days! Uber worked great, including the last morning to the train station. We were spoiled by Uber in Paris, Avignon, Antibes and Nice! Bon voyage!