Please sign in to post.

Trip to France

I am planning a trip to Northeast France in mid-May. I have received wonderful advice in past trips from fellow travelers on R.S. Leaving from Boston to fly to Zurich, Switzerland. Stay a couple days and then take a train to Strasbourg, France. Would like to travel by train or bus to Colmar and see that area. I don't drive in Europe. Don't know if it would be feasible to cross over the border in Germany? What would be worth seeing? I don't know how much time to alott. I will fly or take a train to my second destination near Nice. I know that area well and hope to spend 2 weeks there and then fly home to Boston. I have researched the Alsace region but would like to have your help in planning this part of my journey. What to see, what to do and any B -B's or air B- B's. You could recommend.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted by
27063 posts

Even by TGV, Strasbourg to Nice will take about 9 hours. You might want to research the possibility of flying, or maybe stop for a day or two in Lyon. I think from Colmar it would take a bit longer because you'd need to travel north to Strasbourg first.

Posted by
8889 posts

If you are travelling from Zürich to Strasbourg, by train or road, you go via Colmar. So it is easy to either stop at Colmar on the way to Strasbourg, or visit it from Strasbourg by train.

"if it would be feasible to cross over the border in Germany?" - perfectly feasible, there is nothing to stop you. The Strasbourg tram and bus network extends into Germany.
Places to see include Freiburg im Breisgau (lovely city). The "Kaiserstuhl" wine growing area and the Black Forest can aslo be visited, but require a car, and more time.

Strasbourg to Nice is a long way by train. For example:

Strasbourg dep 11:13, TGV 6837, Marseille-St-Charles arr 17:22
Marseille-St-Charles dep 17:37, TGV 6077, Nice Ville arr 20:10

Air France and Volotea both fly from Strasbourg to Nice.