Please sign in to post.

Trio to Europe in 2022 w/2 Kids

Hi,
My wife and I are are both retired (ages 72 and 68) and are raising our two youngest granddaughters (9 and 14). Our "plan" is to take them on a whirlwind tour of some of our favorite places in Europe, hopefully during the summer of 2022, if the pandemic allows. Both of us spent time in Europe while in the military and as kids (3 years in England, 8 in Germany) so we have a pretty good idea of where we want to go. After starting our trip in the UK, we've been advised to take the Eurostar to Paris, the next stop on our itinerary. For this forum, my questions center more on logistics. For example, any suggestions for lodging in Paris for a family of four? My wife and I have stayed in some neat places in the past that were suitable for couples, but now we are a family of four--again! Any suggestions on transport and lodging are welcome...thanks

Posted by
338 posts

A 2 bedroom apartment through AIRBB or one of those booking sites would be a good start for your research. The Accor brand offers the Aparthotel Adagio - nothing fancy but they have kitchens if you might want a quick coffee or bite before tackling the day.
What do you mean by transport? Within Paris to get to sites? Buses (RS usually suggests the #69 since it goes from Pere Lachaise all the way to the Eiffel Tower. Or do you mean transport to other parts of France?
Give us a little more info please.
Sandra

Posted by
2545 posts

Purchase your Eurostar tickets well in advance for best pricing (at least 6 months in advance). Use eurostar.com or oui.sncf and be careful about redirects to raileurope where tickets might cost a lot more.

Accommodations in Paris can be expensive. Adagio is good option as is Citadine. Be very careful about short term rental apartments as there is a new push to limit their use. Be careful about illegal offerings.

Public transportation in Paris is ubiquitous and cheap but the best solutions require your providing some information to include the number days and the exact days of the week you are in Paris and where you are going if it is outside Paris.

The Eurostar arrives Gare du Nord and you might want to arrange transportation in advance to your accommodations.. It just makes starting out easier and you can book a car (VTC) when you purchase train tickets. Taxi drivers at Gare du Nord are among the most unscrupulous in the city.

Posted by
8145 posts

We too are raising our 9 year old granddaughter and her 12 year old brother travels with us. We took our granddaughter to Madrid, Barcelona and Paris 2 years ago.

Other than having to eat at too many McDonalds, travel with youngsters is no big deal. They adjust easily to Metros and public transport.

We have found that staying in apartments helps where we can wash clothes as it allows us to travel lighter. And we most often use Booking.com. We do insist that the kids handle their own luggage when traveling.

We're heading for Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon next week. Europe will wait until 2022.