Please sign in to post.

Traveling with Young Children

I'm traveling to France with my two sons this fall. We'll be joining my wife at CDG, but she won't be on the same flight as us. Do I need any special documentation to travel with them solo, or do they just need their visas?

Posted by
1172 posts

Just travelled to Ireland with my son alone and although I had brought a note signed by my husband, we were never asked about the other parent's consent. Bring passports and patience :)

Posted by
47 posts

I'd go ahead and do the notarized letter. I was traveling internationally with friends several years ago -- a mom and her 3 sons, only one of whom was under 18 -- and the airline personnel wouldn't let the youngest son board the flight without a notarized letter from dad saying mom had permission to take him out of the country. He and Mom had to take the next flight while they waited for dad's notarized letter to be couriered to the airport. Costs you an hour and maybe $20 up front, but could save you tons of time and hassle if you get called on it.

Posted by
5697 posts

Think of the notarized consent letter in the same way as having a current IDP when you are a backup driver -- good chance no one will ask for it, but if you DON'T have it when it's needed, it could be a major trip-buster. Just pay the small amount of money to get the paperwork done, pack it with your passports and don't worry further.

Posted by
532 posts

I often go to visit my mother in AZ with one of our kids. I have never taken any kind of letter or note from my wife. I haven´t ever been asked or had a problem.

The worst moment was one Easter I was traveling with both my kids to Phoenix, they were probably 14 and 11. As we were leaving the luggage area and just about to go out the gate, we went to the last customs check. He was asking us some routine questions: Do you have any drugs, explosives, knives, guns... When my daughter said yes. The situation suddenly became tense and cold, we all looked at her, and she calmly said, "yes I bought some gum at the airport". After a big sigh and a chuckle from everyone, we were allowed to go on.