Please sign in to post.

Traveling Barcelona to Provence in June, 2020

Hi there, I am traveling alone from Barcelona to Provence in June. Would love advice on mode of travel; should I rent a car, use the train (8 hrs!) or fly to Marseilles? I have not selected my 'home base' for the 3 days in Provence yet - thinking Arles - input
would be welcome on that as well. After 3 days I'll be heading up to Paris. thank you!

Posted by
7732 posts

There is high speed train from Barcelona to Nimes that takes 3:30 minutes, then another train to Arles 25 minutes away.

Posted by
26835 posts

A rental car would be a very costly choice, because there would almost certainly be a very large international drop fee. The rental-car company would have to pay someone to drive the car back to Spain.

Posted by
248 posts

We took the train via Nimes. Stayed in Avignon which we found to be a good central location for getting about the area.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for all the help! I am also weighing the advantage of renting a car versus using a tour company to go wine tasting. Any thoughts on that?

Posted by
2923 posts

There's a direct 4h train from Barcelona to Nimes (Pont du Gard aquaduct). Not sure if there's luggage storage though. You can then take a 30m train from Nimes to Arles.

Posted by
1 posts

My wife and I are also planning to travel from Barcelona to Provence in June. Our plan is to take a train from Barcelona to Figures and make a stop there to see the Salvador Dali Museum. Then take a train from there to Perpignan. We'll pick up a rental car there and use it to go to Nice with several stops along the way. As others have noted, this is significantly less expensive than taking a rental car across the border between Spain and France.