Please sign in to post.

Travel to Sarlat and other Dordogne villages using public transport Jul 14-18th 2018

Hi All,

I along with my mother (64 years old) and wife will be arriving at Brive Airport on Saturday - 14th July 2018, by Ryan Air at 10.30 am. I was planning to take a taxi/cab to Brive downtown, to pick up an car rental (automatic transmission car) from Enterprise which I had booked early Jun'18, as I needed an automatic car.

They just got back to me today 6th July'18, stating that they cannot provide me an automatic car, as they don't have one. Now I need to replan my trip just as a contingency, if I cannot get a rental car.

I also realised that 14th July, is St. Bastille's day, so not sure if there will be any public transport available from the airport.
I also need advise on which places should I visit , as I will be there until 18th July, when I will leave for Bordeaux - By train or bus from Brive Train station.

Can someone guide me, on places to visit - with and without car - i.e. using public transport. I was initially planning to spend a couple of days in Sarlat/Beynac area and a couple of days near Perigruex/Saint Leon Sur Vezere area.

On 18th July'18 , I planned to catch a train/bus to Bordeaux , and spend a couple of days there, visiting St. Emillion for a day. We then fly back from Bordeaux to London Stanstead on Saturday 21st Jul'18 at 4 pm.

Can someone advise, what are the possible options - places we can visit without car rental, using public transport.
And if we manage to get a car, what are the suggestions, best way to spend the 4 days in Dordogne area.

Thanks

Posted by
542 posts

The news that an automatic transmission car won't be available is a problem! First, do you have a place to stay? If not, that's another potential problem this time of year as the Dordogne is a popular vacation destination. Second, you can get information about public transportation on the French rail site, SNCF. Finally, there are multiple car rental agencies at Brive Airport, including Avis, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt, so you might want to contact them for the car you need.

Good luck and let us know your progress in planning your trip.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your response. But when I check online, I am unable to find any automatic cars from any of these car rental agencies at airport, and I could locate one with Hertz, but the charges seem to bee too high nearly $900 plus, for just 4 days.

I have been able to locate and keep a temporary hold on hotel to stay in Sarlat, but I am thinking with the car rental issue, if would I need to replan.

Also I was looking for some suggestions on the itinerary, both based on travel by public transport or the itinerary if I manage to land a car rental.

I can change my bookings, based on any recommendations.

Thanks

Posted by
153 posts

Can none of your party drive a stick shift? Surely your Mom is of the generation which would have learned this basic skill.

Posted by
20 posts

Unfortunately no.

Can anyone help, how do I get from Brive Airport to Brive or Souillac Train station?
I may plan going to Perigruex for a couple of days, and then to Sarlat for the remaining days from Perigruex?
Is there a train/bus available from Sarlat to Bordeaux?

Thanks

Posted by
375 posts

I think you should spring and get the car from Hertz. Public transport in that area is somewhat limited.

Or, if you can get to Sarlat by public transport, then you could just be there and soak up it's wonderful flavors. You could check to see if there's any guided tours that drive you around to the other cool little towns in the area.

But I think you should get the car.

then you can go to the charming little market in St. Cyprien, see the caves (if you got tickets), to the wonderful market in Sarlat, go canoeing, visit Beynac....so many choices.

Posted by
14 posts

We were in the area last Spring. Stayed in La Roque Gageac. Stunningly beautiful. Sarlat is very nice. Wonderful street market (Saturday's if I recall correctly). But going to the castles, and gardens, and up to Dome, and .... , with any kind of flexibility is probably going to require a car. I'm certainly not an expert on public transportation in the area but I think it's pretty limited. Have you considered hiring someone to teach you to drive a stick? You could probably get pretty comfortable in a relatively short period of time.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi Shaun/Bjaskis,

I have managed to arrange for tge automatic car from 14-18 July.
Could you advise me on the itinerary for these days, post which I plan to go to Bordeaux on the 18th July, and probably cover St. Emilion or Modec winery, to return back to London on the 21st, 4pm flight

Thanks

Posted by
542 posts

I suggest you buy or borrow from a library the Rick Steves book on France. It has basic information on the towns and sites in the area and even suggests driving routes.