Please sign in to post.

Travel/Evacuation Insurance

Not a happy topic, but sometimes we have to deal with accidents. I'm traveling with mom, and considering travel/evacuation insurance. One carrier offers either $50,000 or 100,000 medical coverage, and $ 500,000 or $1M evacuation coverage. Any suggestions which I need in Italy and France to get mom quickly and safely to a hospital and cover her medical costs?

Posted by
8159 posts

Travel policies vary from company to company, as they're all just a little different.
Is Mom on Medicare, and if so does she have a Supplement to Part A & Part B? If so, what are the terms on her supplement? Many policies will reimburse you for medical care when they travel to another country.
Another question is how good of physical condition is she in? For example, my mother had a serious heart condition prior to going to my sister's house in Colorado, and she had to be evacuated from Aspen by a Learjet after spending a week in the hospital there.
And is there any reason your mother couldn't be treated in Italy or France at clinics or hospitals? Medical care in Western and Central Europe is very good and modern. In fact, most of the world's medicine companies are headquartered in Switzerland and Western Europe. What I'm saying is that there are very few instances where someone would have to be air evacuated out of Europe to the U.S.
You might want to see what coverages Mom has before you begin shopping. And all the popular travel insurance companies can be found on the internet.

Posted by
2114 posts

No knowing more about your mom, any pre-existing medical conditions she has, her likelihood to fall, and what coverage her individual health insurance might (or might not) provide for Europe, etc., it is is hard for any of us to provide truly good advice for her situation. We can only make guesses.

If she has no medical insurance or insurance that would not cover her in Europe, then one can blow thru $50,000 rather quickly if she had a major heart attack/stroke while on the trip, of if she (God forbid) was hit by a car/fell down the stairs/slipped and fell over a cliff, etc. and suffered life-threatening injuries.

If she has any pre-existing conditions, be sure to buy her trip insurance within the designated time (often 15 days) after you make your initial trip deposit, then you have to be sure to subsequently cover every single non-refundable penny paid toward the trip for some policies. Some policies allow the person to ultimately travel to the hospital of their choice (if they are determined by a doctor to be able to travel) to complete their treatment, etc. Some allow for a travel companion to also travel to that location with the covered individual obtaining treatment.

But, generally it is not that much more costly to go with the higher-level of insurance ($1 million vs. $500K).

In some countries (I don't think for Italy or France) medical payments must be settled immediately (insurance not accepted later).

The good thing about Italy and France, they are not third-world countries and generally have good medical, especially in the larger cities. But, if a pro-longed hospitalization were required, it could be costly and then even more costly to get mom transported to a hospital closer to her home.

Insurance is meant to provide peace of mind, so go with whatever amount will give you (and her) that state.......again, based on the specific knowledge you have about her medical insurance policies and the coverage they might provide while traveling, along with her medical history/current conditions/risks.

She will, no doubt, feel secure/less vulnerable to have you as a travel partner.

Posted by
171 posts

We have always had good luck with Travel Guard. We always buy insurance but this year we added on emergency evacuation coverage. We bought their Gold Policy. With this we get to make the decision where we want to be sent for medical care. With most policies you do not get that option. There is a great article by Travel Writer Peter Greenberg titled "Why do I need Travel Insurance" It shouldn't be hard to find by Googling it.

Posted by
5836 posts

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/travel-insurance

For some travelers, insurance is a good deal; for others, it’s not.
What are the chances you’ll need it? How willing are you to take
risks? How much is peace of mind worth to you? Take these
considerations into account, understand your options, and make an
informed decision for your trip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance

The business model is to collect more in premium and investment income
than is paid out in losses, and to also offer a competitive price
which consumers will accept. Profit can be reduced to a simple
equation: Profit = earned premium + investment income – incurred loss

– underwriting expenses.

Posted by
8072 posts

We are on medicare and our medigap policy covers emergency care traveling for up to trips of 60 days. so we buy evacuation insurance through jet assist. I have never needed any of this, so of course have no idea how good it is. Reviews are good -- but most people of course never need it; if you have medical coverage the most disastrous situation is the need to pay for medical transport home, so this is what we insure. We don't insure the trip, or our luggage or whatever -- if you can afford to take a trip you can afford to lose the money (not happy but not financially disastrous) Needing 100K in medical transport home can be financially disastrous. We knew of someone who had to mortgage their home to be able to afford to bring their daughter home for medical care when she was hit by a car in Egypt.

Posted by
2788 posts

someone else has posted the same question so that if you use your post title in the SEARCH space above you might be able to access some more answers to your inquiry.