Please sign in to post.

Transportation Strike

I've read that the transportation workers are striking in support of the oil refinery workers. Anyone have an idea of where to find out which train lines are being affected and for how long? Are they regional train lines or just Metro/RER lines? Thanks! Hoping this gets resolved very quickly!

Posted by
10208 posts

I haven't watched the news, but I believe it was a one-day strike last Tuesday, two days ago.

Posted by
6916 posts

There are some lingering local strikes affecting suburban trains in Paris and local trains in some regions, but nothing major... although I had the misfortune of taking the RER B to CDG yesterday and was crushed like never before because of it. The train was barely able to pick up speed....
But yes, the main strike day was indeed Tuesday.

Posted by
9614 posts

The, I guess you would call it, hardest line union has called for additional strike days on Oct 27 and Nov 10, but it remains to be seen how many workers will follow this call in which sectors (and if any other unions will join with the CGT in calling their workers to strike).

Posted by
10 posts

I prepaid for tickets to get from Bayeux to Paris on November 10. I understand there is no way to know what lines will be affected yet. What does one do in an instance like that? Do we get a refund for the prepaid tickets if its cancelled? Uber? Try and rent a car..

Posted by
9614 posts

In Scotland earlier this month when I realized their rail strikes were probably going to prevent me from being able to get back to Glasgow from my remote destination, I just gave up and rented a car.

(Well I guess I should say I made the alternative plans in September once I saw what was going to happen in October.)

I got some money back on one of my tickets, but nothing for the one that they actually ended up cancelling on me ! Ugh !

Posted by
9614 posts

And just as an aside, October 27 has come and gone without any strikes (besides the two continuing one at two Total sites that have been going on since late September).

Posted by
4125 posts

Kim, interesting that you didn’t get a refund. I had one train cancelled and one journey interrupted (where we got dumped on the platform for an hour before the next train came along) in July - and got reimbursement for both of those.