Please sign in to post.

translator

not be able to speak much French, any suggestions on a good translator app?

Posted by
1336 posts

Few translators are convenient. Google works about as well as any other one and can get the job done in a pinch. But you should be able to get what you want by miming and simple words.

Posted by
38 posts

I second Google Translate. The phone app has a place to type text, save some phrases, and a camera so you can scan things like menus or signs and it will translate them for you. And yes, just trying to speak French even a little will go a long way.

Posted by
929 posts

(Stepping aside from my usual role as a moderator)

As someone who teaches the Beginning French for Travelers class for Rick Steves, if I may provide some basic advice outside of using a translator app, be sure to stumble through what little French you know (and use the translator app) and let them switch to English before you fall back to that. They'll be much more willing to help you with the limited English that they know as long as they see you try.

Also, be sure to say "bonjour" before proceeding to speak with anyone for the first time. It's basically considered rude not to, so if it feels like you're saying it all the time, you're probably just saying it enough. ;)

For more good advice, we recorded one of our other teacher's Beginning French sessions that -- even if you only remember 10 words -- is packed with helpful advice and will help your trip go more smoothly. Have a great trip!

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks/french-language

Posted by
7295 posts

GJBruce, if you don't have our host's guidebook (or have seen a copy in the public library ... ), have a look at his free Travel Tips top left menu. He discusses local languages.

If you are only going to places like Paris, I have to say that since my first visit in 1987, the ability and willingness to speak English has increased vastly in France over the years. Of course, some people still don't learn enough in school, like, say, bus drivers and custodians. But as the previous post suggests, a few mis-pronounced "courtesy words" go a long way to smoothing any nationalist feelings, and may produce a reply mostly in English. I find that waiters universally answer me in English, even with my respectable (?) French. Your hotel front desk will certainly be able to communicate with you.

This is also an "age" thing. I'm 70, and I can barely get my phone to work as a phone! The last thing I need is a lame app trying to translate for me! Do you already know you'll have data in France?

Posted by
41 posts

I will also say the Google Translate App was pretty amazing, you hold your camera view over a menu (or sign) and the words translate into English on your screen.

Posted by
14507 posts

"...a lame app to translate...." Well put, eloquently worded. I don't use such a thing either and above all, certainly not in French or German.

Posted by
9565 posts

a few mis-pronounced "courtesy words" go a long way to smoothing any nationalist feelings

!!!!

Is it really considered nationalist to speak one’s own language in one’s own country??!!!

This is a most extraordinary statement .

Posted by
7544 posts

Google Translate is really the go to app. Its features are handy, can handle spoken word, text, and images. You can download a language set for offline translation as well.

However, take some time to consider how you might use a translator. For me it is handy to look up a word or phrase, decipher written words, and basically figure things out on my own. While it does have the capability to handle a conversation between two people, it is a bit awkward at that, and sticking a phone in front of someone is not something to do without their consent, basically I do not see it as a general conversation tool, unless you know the person, or are trying to work out a serious issue together.

Posted by
7295 posts

No, Kim, it’s considered nationalist to treat people who don’t know a word of your language as illiterate fools:

https://www.france24.com/en/20140621-france-tourism-industry-rudeness-parisians-industry-economy

It was worse before the 2014 date of this article.

Luckily, this is no longer a serious problem in France, as I noted. One source of this problem was the bitter realization that the default common-language in Europe was, after 300 years or more, no longer French. With postwar influence by America, and now the imposition of the use of English by global companies, that hegemony is all in the past. MFGA! (Ironica typeface)

Posted by
7661 posts

I speak a little Spanish, but after 50 (college classes) it is weak now.

I have traveled a lot in France and found enough persons that speak English, with no problems.

Only in my first visit to France (Paris in 1983) did I encounter rude people because I didn't speak French. I had a friend from France that told me ( back then) that some Parisians were rude to Americans, some because they were communists. The communist party back in the early 80s before the collapse of the Soviet Union was the fourth largest party in France.

In recent years, we have had NO problems in France because we don't speak the language.

Posted by
8439 posts

Webmaster

. . . As someone who teaches the Beginning French for Travelers class for Rick Steves, . . ."

That's interesting. Do the classes have a "travel" focus including situational guidance, such as the "bonjour" tip that you mention? If so, maybe RSE could offer an Zoom version.🤔

Posted by
9565 posts

Silly me, thinking it’s normal, not nationalist, to speak one’s own language in one’s own country. We Americans do it all the time.

I guess we’re just a bunch of nationalists too.

Posted by
2207 posts

An interesting discussion... Having lived in multiple countries, I've tried (unsuccessfully) to learn Spanish, Italian, Danish, German, and now, Dutch. I basically know a little bit of nothing. Fortunately, we've lived in large cities and English has been prevalent - almost universal in Denmark and the Netherlands.

But I still struggle with mail, and yes, I break out Google Translator to see what this bill/note is all about. I've used Google Translator for years and it's been incredibly helpful. I often send emails - the easiest way to communicate when you don't speak the language - to the Cable, Internet, Electricity, Car Insurance, etc, vendors using Google Translator (The top half of my note is the 'translated version" and then below, I italicize my original English-language response).

You do struggle when on the phone... think about calling a business and getting PUSH 1 for... and so on..,. but it's not in your language! We face that all the time and it's probably my biggest challenge!

Because of these types of difficulties - and other constant reminders that you're living in a foreign country - I am always amazed when the plumber, the maintenance man, the janitor, store clerk, etc who I meet speaks English better than I do! And this is their second - or third - language.

Having to deal with day-to-day issues - like scheduling a dentist appointment or servicing your car - you VERY MUCH appreciate that their school system is farther advanced than the comparable US system regarding languages.

So no, I never take it for granted that people in Europe speak English. But I also have never felt that they SHOULD speak English. Daily, we are reminded that we are visitors in THEIR country. After all, most European countries DO have an official language, but the USA does not. So a French person speaking French is not their issue, it's mine (and yes, thank goodness for my wife - who is quite proficient with languages... and Google Translator).

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for all the replies …..working on getting a bit of French in my vocabulary by listening to classes and when all fails I’ve got google translator 😎 most of all I plan to just have a great time while visiting France
G

Posted by
7544 posts

Google Translate still has some doozies.

Unfortunately, most translators cannot convey meanings other than literal, and food items are particularly difficult, requiring a menu translator, rather than general language.

After all, I am sure many non-Americans are a bit horrified after translating "Hot Dog" off an American menu.

Posted by
14507 posts

"Google translate still has some doozies"...so true. ! If you want to translate a sentence in English to a French equivalent without knowing the context, there is a good chance that translation will be one of the these doozies.

Totally not nationalist at all speaking your own language in your country, especially in France. When i am there, I had better speak my very modest French. I wonder how Google would translate that.