Please sign in to post.

Trains & Jour de l’Ascension - May 9, 2024

Hi

Doing research for May 2024 France trip.
I read somewhere that during Jour de l’Ascension (Thursday, May 9, 2024), business, schools close from Thurs to Sun. Does anyone know if trains will run on regular or reduced schedules? Hope to visit Giverny on Sun, May 12. Thank you

Posted by
6902 posts

Long distance trains run normally BUT it is a prime time for engineering work on suburban/regional trains like the one you would take to Vernon for Giverny.
There has been a lot of works on that line lately. Usually there is some sort of substitution service, but not always.
There will not be any further info until February at best: I would still pencil it in your plans with an 80-90% probability of trains running.

Posted by
57 posts

Thank you @balso

Arrive at CDG May 11. Can I take RER into the city? Will this holiday affect RER or Metro schedule in Paris?

Also will TGV to Tours train run normally? Or that's a maybe?

Thank you.

Posted by
9584 posts

On Saturday, May 11, Metro and RER will be on their regular Saturday schedule

Posted by
6902 posts

It should be no problem for the RER and metro, and if for some reason there is a RER problem, there is always a replacement bus service.
TGV to Tours will run normally, and you should ideally book asap when sales open: demand is high at that time of the year. SNCF Connect lets you set up alerts for sales opening.

By the way, in any case, I'd say that Giverny on the day after arriving from overseas is a bit ambitious - depending on how badly jet lag affects you.

Posted by
57 posts

Thank you @Kim

@balso
flight arrives May 11 around 10am something. but nowadays with so much delays, I'd rather not chance it to book a TGV CDG train to Tours for Loire Valley's next 2 day DIY visit without a car. Am I being too conservative? It seems I'll have to wait at the airport for later TGV trains. Love to hear your feedback on this matter.

Yes I won't try to get to Giverny either the day we arrive.

Posted by
6902 posts

Honestly, I would book the TGV in advance. The risk of full trains is real, even though it is lower on 11 May than on 12 May.
Eastbound transatlantic flights are usually timely, they often arrive early thanks to the jet stream.
My recommended buffer between scheduled landing and train departure time is 2.30-3.00 hours for a CDG station departure, and 4.00 hours for a Montparnasse departure. If you go to Montparnasse, traffic will be very light in Paris on 11 May, so I strongly suggest the comfort of a taxi.

Posted by
57 posts

Thank you @balso for buffer times for both CDG & Montparnasse. It will be the option to use if there's no train to Vernon-Giverny.

I think it would be best to settle in to Paris on the day we arrive with jet lag and all.

Taxi: can I ask if you can point me to some links on what to expect for taxis? best practice etc. for future reference. I've never taken one in France.

Thank you. Always so much to think/consider.

Posted by
6902 posts

Taxis at CDG airport are simple. Follow the signs, do not pay attention to people asking if you need a taxi - those are either motorbike taxis or fake taxis. When you arrive in the taxi line, you will see the dispatcher and that guy is legit.
The fare to Paris is fixed, 55€ or 62€ depending on destination. It is 62€ to Montparnasse. Cards are accepted (but ask before you get in just to make sure).