Please sign in to post.

Trains in France

We are looking at the train trip from Beaune to Orange. We can take a TGV for most of the trip, but you have three changes, because the TGV goes to Avignon first then a train back to Orange. Or we can take SNCF the whole way and just change once. Would the TGV's be a better train to ride on, or does it make any difference.

Posted by
20110 posts

The TGV will have onboard services like a café car, which TER trains generally don't. If you can commit to a nonrefundable ticket and buy well in advance, the TGV itinerary will actually be cheaper. TER trains are always the same price, but if 60 or over, you can get advance purchase Senior Discovery ticket for 25% discount off the standard price.

Posted by
323 posts

Thank you for your prompt reply. We looked at the map and it seems the TGV lets you off way outside of town, which means you have to catch a tram to get to the station to get to TER train. We don't know what the Senior Discovery tickets are. We are both way over 60. And service on the train is not a problem for us. How do you get Senior Discovery tickets?

Posted by
681 posts

I usually opt for the route that involves the fewest changes and that gets me closest to my destination, especially when I'm carrying bags. When you enter your information about destination, time, etc., you'll have an opportunity to note that you're over 60 ( I think it's 60.). Then, the senior rates will show up as options if available. I use Captain Train and, after entering our names and ages once, it applies that info to all of my inquiries. Their site is simple to use when doing long-range planning, as well as on the fly.

Posted by
32777 posts

Just for clarification, both the TER and the TGV services are part of SNCF.

The SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Français) is the state owned French National Railway Company which owns the track and the trains.

TGV (Train à Grande Vitesse) is the Train of High Speed, the fast bullet-train aerodynamic, all reserved train, of several vintages and configurations, which links many major cities with very few stops, and also go into the surrounding counties of Switzerland and Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, and Spain.

TER (Transport express régional) is the Regional Express Transport, which following the hyperbole of various national railways means the slowest trains, the local and skip stop semi fast regional trains, divided by French region. The TER trains around Avignon are mostly TER PACA, with PACA being Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur. Both Avignon and Orange are on the border of PACA, so in addition to trains painted TER PACA you may also see some - maybe even ride on some - from TER Languedoc-Roussillon or TER RhôneAlpes.

Avignon, like several of the cities served by TGV trains, has a station for local trains (Avignon Ville)(Avignon City) and Avignon TGV. They used to be linked by bus but recently local trains have linked the two. The TGV stations are out of town so that the TGVs avoid dead end stations where they have to turn around, with a few exceptions, and they avoid tight radius curves where they would have to slow down, so that they can get to their destination as quickly as possible.

Orange is a very small station, and a bit of a hike into town to the attractions. Much of the architecture in Orange is somewhat unique in France, and reminded me of small town Texas in the 1960s. I wonder if i am the only one who saw the green paint and traffic lights and thought the same?