Please sign in to post.

Trainline

Hello, everyone!
Has anyone used trainline to book trains between different countries in Europe?
Is it safe, reliable, etc?

Posted by
23267 posts

It is fine. It is a recent merger of two ticket services.

Posted by
9566 posts

I've used it, I like it for its ease of use. in fact i'm traveling with Trainline tickets on Friday!

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks -- I just booked our trip from Zurich to Paris on Trainline -- it was very easy to use!!!

Posted by
32202 posts

pix,

Trainline is my preferred site for booking tickets, mostly in Italy but also in other countries. I agree, it's very easy to use once you're registered on the site.

Posted by
420 posts

People in the UK may prefer to use Loco2.com. I have found their support staff immensely helpful and the site is very easy to use. You can book from Niort (France) to Neath (Wales) or vice versa as a single search. Payment can be in £ or in euros or by Paypal. Debit cards are free, but credit cards and Paypal attract a 2.5% fee.

Posted by
109 posts

Trainline is a godsend for buying French rail tickets for holders of "non-verified" US credit cards, those who prefer PayPal, and those who prefer the cheaper fares, as all of these issues will prohibit easy sncf online purchase. Sncf had me pulling my hair out, as it was not overtly clear that non "Flexible" tickets could not be purchased with PayPal (not mentioned in Rick's guides).

Posted by
681 posts

I’ve used Trainline for several years now. It’s easy to book, easy to pay and they have great customer service. If you have the app installed on your phone, it’s even easier to buy tickets since all of your information is there.

Posted by
64 posts

RailEurope.com is another option - operates from the US.
Have sometimes found that booking directly (SNCF or RENFE for example) is cheaper - both have multiple language options.

Posted by
782 posts

Rail Europe is a consolidator and they have a lot of hidden fees,I would recommend Trainline or the SNCF website, just become a member.I have used them with no problems.
Mike

Posted by
9566 posts

I'm traveling on another Trainline-booked ticket at this very moment (Paris-Turin). Very convenient and the app has even notified me that we're running 5 minutes late! Ha

Posted by
1005 posts

Add my vote for Trainline. The SNCF website is a disaster.

Posted by
4044 posts

I have never found a cheaper trail ticket on RailEurope and notice that sometimes the selection of trains is not as complete as on the rail operators' sites.

On the other hand, I breeze through ticket purchases at https://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/
It doesn't even blink at accepting my chip-and-PIN card. I recently bought a ticket Paris-Barcelona (a joint operation with the Spanish system.) Otherwise, www. trainline.eu

Posted by
1216 posts

Just don't want the wrong impression to be left regarding the sncf site. I've used it several times including last summer, and it has worked fine for me. I always prefer to buy direct if practical, and I find it easy to do on the sncf site. Enjoy your trip!