Please sign in to post.

Train travel in France during EURO 2016

My 22 year old son and I are arriving in Paris on the 19th of June. We are planning to stay for 2 days and then take the train to Bordeaux for the Spain-Croatia game. I haven't pre-purchased our train ticket because I read that it's a regional train and also I'm nervous about potential strikes. If I go to the station the day we arrive, will that be sufficient to buy the ticket or should I try to get it in advance from the US?

Hi there,

I understand the worry for strikes, especially since the French are well known for it. So it might be a safer bet to wait until you're there and then decide. But in order to save a little money it's often cheaper to buy tickets in advance. You should also check if you need seat reservations on that particular route, because without a reservation on most European trains, seats aren't guaranteed. Then your efforts of buying a ticket (whether it's in advance or not) have been for nothing anyway. At least, that's what I experienced.

I hope this was useful.

Molly

Posted by
4044 posts

When the trains are running on a reduced schedule with skeleton staffing, line-ups for whatever ticket agents are working can be long and enforcement of seat regulations much relaxed. Expect confusion -- but the French have plenty of practice at making do in these situations.

Posted by
9573 posts

Well the point of buying "ahead" is pretty moot now at only 13 days before the date of the train you're considering. So it's kind of the same whether you buy it now -- you won't be getting any discounts having left it this long -- or wait to purchase closer to your date.

Posted by
16893 posts

Paris-Bordeaux is not usually done by regional train. Direct TGV trains take 3.5 hours and run at least hourly but the tickets will be for reserved date, time, and seat assignment whenever you buy them. No deadline to buy, but also possible for a whole train or the cheaper second class section to sell out. Without TGV, travel time is 6-9 hours and departures are fewer. SNCF boutiques around Paris are another option to purchase, in addition to online or at train stations.

If you reserve a train which is later cancelled due to strike, you can use the ticket on any other departure that's running that route or you can get a refund. Do you have hotel reservations and game tickets?

Posted by
10192 posts

Lines and waits at the train stations are unusually long now. Whatever you can do ahead of time on line and print at home, you should do. If you train is affected by a strike, just hop on the next train that's running. You don't want to go via regional trains.

Posted by
55 posts

Thanks for the advice. I DID read somewhere that this was a regional train and offered no discount, but I'm this is my first visit to France, so I should have checked further. I will buy tickets in advance, at least to secure them and avoid a long wait. Of course I have EURO 2016 tickets and a room reserved in Bordeaux! That was top priority. I hope our time in France is nice. We are off to walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain afterwards.

OK...I've now attempted to purchase tickets to no avail! I've called the credit card company, I've switched browsers, I've tried the suggested website: Captaintrain.com, and I've tried to use paypal. Nothing is working. Any other ideas? I may have to buy the tickets when I get there after all.

Posted by
10192 posts

I'm technically inept but how about clearing your cache and then trying Captain Train.

Also, in addition to buying tickets in a station, you can use Boutiques SNCF. Google for the addresses around Paris and get there early.