Please sign in to post.

Train travel in France

Hi all,

We are about 3 months out from our trip to Aix-en-Provence. Many have suggested we take the train from CDG to Aix when we land. How much time do we need to give ourselves between landing and train departure? Are there are discounts we should look for? Any tips?

Thank you!

Posted by
7260 posts

Hi!

• Allow 2.5-3 hours between plane arrival and train departure. It sounds like a lot, and if all goes well it will be a lot, but you need to allow for slight plane delays or border control delays. Same-day backup train tickets can be expensive if you miss the train (or even unavailable at peak times).

• To look for and book train tickets, folks in the US have been reporting issues with the official OUI SNCF website from the French railways, but third party reseller Trainline is reliable and only charges very modest fees.
    Best for discounts is to book as early as possible for best fares (sales open 90-120 days before departure, and possibly a bit earlier for Ouigo - see below).

• You will see 2 types of trains: usually cheaper "Ouigo" and pricier "Inoui" or "TGV".
    The timings will probably dictate your choice in this case. However, do bear in mind that Ouigo, billed as a low-cost service, has a strict luggage allowance (you will need to pre-buy extra if needed), requires you to either print your ticket or show it on the app (no ability to withdraw tickets from a machine at the station), has a 30-minute check-in requirement, and is a little bit cramped vs. Inoui/TGV (but still decent).
    Otherwise they travel at the same speed.

• Last but not least, the station you want for Aix is "Aix-en-Provence TGV", from which a very frequent bus takes you to the city center ("Aix Gare Routière"). The bus is separately managed, you get the tickets on the spot (can't remember if you get them from a machine or from the driver, it's been a while).
    You could also get a cab, but might find it expensive (€40-50) depending on your budget!

Posted by
168 posts

We took the train directly from CDG to Nimes in 2019. I agree with all of above, especially allowing for 2-3 hours. CDG was empty when our plain arrived earlier than scheduled (5:15 am) and it only took us 30 minutes to get from the plane, to the attached train station, but you never know. We only had carry on luggage. Nothing was open when we arrived at the train station, but the coffee shop opened at 6am. Bring change for the CDG train station bathroom. It was kind of a drag to sit around waiting for a train for 2 hours while tired and jet lagged, but it was easier than going into Paris to catch a train.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
20958 posts

If you are flying Air France, you may want to contact them about an Air & Rail Combined Trip. Then you are guaranteed your connection at CDG.

A slight hitch is that the trains from CDG, either direct or with a connection in Lyon, may not stop at Aix en Provence, but they do stop at Avignon TGV where you can buy the 20 minute connecting train to Aix en Provence.

Just a thought.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/resainfovol/avion_train/reservation_avion_train_tgvair_airfrance.htm

Posted by
2655 posts

If you book your flight to QXB rather than to CDG, your fare will include guaranteed TGV travel from CDG to Aix-en-Provence TGV station.

Posted by
10515 posts

And checked luggage should be transferred through to the destination as with a connecting flight if on the Air France fly train ticket.

Posted by
2655 posts

Other airlines have offered the guaranteed transfer to a train station in France, not just AF.

Posted by
20958 posts

Note the the Air & Rail Combined Trip specifically states the you must collect your luggage at CDG and pass through customs, then walk to the TGV station.

Upon arrival of your flight
Regardless of your arrival airport, you must pick up your baggage before continuing your journey by train.
When you arrive at Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport, walk to the Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV train station.

Posted by
125 posts

Hi,

I agree with everyone else that 2 hours minimum should be allotted. You don't know how long it will take you to get through customs, especially if you have to take a Covid Antigen test on arrival.

I checked my journal from March 15, 2018 when I flew to Paris from Boston. I landed at CDG at 8:12, made it through customs at 9:09 and then ran through the airport like O.J. Simpson (with just my one carry on bag) to the train station to catch a 9:19 train. I had purchased the train ticket on line and stopped at a kiosk in the train station to print it out before boarding. I took that train one stop (Paris Disney?), then hopped on a high speed train to Avignon. I'm not sure if it was OUIGO or TGV, but I think it was the former as I still get random marketing emails from them.

Good luck

Posted by
7260 posts

Hadn't thought of Air&Rail, my bad... But Aix en Provence is not listed as one of the allowed destinations so that makes it impractical, because the OP would still be faced with the need to buy (and book) the Avignon TGV - Aix en Provence TGV ticket (not a local train, but a regular TGV ticket). Therefore I am really not sure that it would work here... separate train ticket seems to be the way to go.

Posted by
968 posts

Thank you all! We already have tickets from LAX - CDG - LAX on United. We got a great fully-changeable fare a few months ago right before the airlines started to change their Covid policy.

That said, I took a look to see if it's cost-efficient to change it up and fly straight to Marseilles, then straight out of Florence back to LAX. (We are going from Aix to visit our daughter while she studies abroad in Florence for 4-5 days.)

Two new airline tickets would cost us an additional $1,511 total to fly into Marseilles and straight out of Florence. So... even when I add on two train tickets from CDG to Aix and two plane tickets from Florence to Paris, I think I'm way ahead financially if I keep what I have. Hmmm....

$150 TGV from CDG to Aix + $80 flight on Vueling (includes a checked bag) nonstop from Florence to Paris. A bit of a hassle but we'll save a good $1,000 and have a day/night in Paris! :)