Please sign in to post.

train travel in france

Need a bit of help. So many different sets of info on train travel, that I want someone to say "do this".
I am traveling from Paris to Caen, Rouen to Bordeaux, Bordeaux to Paris between May 25th and June 6/14.
Do I do individual tickets for each leg, buy a Euro rail pass? And best site to do the reservations with? What is a fair market price?
Getting lost a bit with all the avenues.
thanks
kh

Posted by
14 posts

I need this same advice, kh! I will be in and around Paris for about ten days but don't know exactly where I will go on which days and want to maintain some flexibility. I'm thinking I should by a rail pass that covers all destinations for the duration of my trip but am overwhelmed by all the options. Looking forward to some helpful replies.

Posted by
1103 posts

We had a good experience with www.trainline.eu, using them to purchase tickets from Paris to Chartres and Nice to Paris. If you know your travel dates and times, Trainline.eu is a good way to go. For the Paris-Chartres trip, we printed a document at home that allowed us to retrieve he actual tickets at the train station. The Nice-Paris journey was on the high speed TGV which requires a reserved seat. We printed the ticket/seat reservation at home.

Posted by
5503 posts

The French train website is www.oui.sncf I found it easy to use. However, if you choose or have a difficulty with sncf, try loco2 or trainline.eu. I used both of those in Spain and they are very user friendly. The prices on loco2 and trainline are the same as sncf, there is not mark up. I tend to purchase any longer train tickets in advance for better prices. I do not see any advantage to buying a Euro rail pass, I would just purchase the individual tickets. If you are taking a train on your arrival day, I probably wouldn't buy that ticket in advance because the ticket will be nonrefundable and if your plane is delayed you will lose your money.

Posted by
7977 posts

Most travel like this routes through Paris; you buy one way tickets because that is all there are (passes are not cost effective for long distance travel -- they became obsolete about the time traveler's checks did). And you buy them about 90 days out because they are much cheaper then -- but inflexible, so know your dates. Use Trainline.

Posted by
4020 posts

As you will see from Seat 61, the useful way to do research is to presume a pass is NOT a good deal. Dig out the prices for each leg of your travels individually. Only then will you be able to see if the total is higher than a pass. And remember that on the high-speed trains and some inter-city runs, a reservation for your seat will be required at extra cost; the single tickets include the reservation.

Posted by
16893 posts

Most French trains have a wide range of fares, depending on how early you're ready lock in dates and times. Seat assignments are built into the ticket for any train that requires them, e.g., your legs to and from Bordeaux. Savings are greater on the longer routes and faster trains that would be more expensive at full fare, again your legs to and from Bordeaux. Paris-Caen is not by fast train. Three to four months ahead is usually the earliest availability, but summer travel dates will be released in blocks, not one day at a time. So perhaps in mid- or late February you'll find booking open for all your travel dates.

If you miss that "sweet spot" for booking ahead, then a Eurail France Pass for 3 days of travel in a month costs about $165 in 2nd class or $220 in 1st class. Seat reservations cost about $11 per train that requires them, but more as train occupancy gets filled; for sale together with the rail pass, as well as in train stations. See also https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/france-rail-passes.

Posted by
12 posts

This has all been so helpful. We are going in late May and it has been so confusing. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Posted by
73 posts

“Seat 61” became “Captain Train” which became Trainline” and is now called “EUtrain”. All same company. Each time the software improves.
“DO THIS!” you say ... so here goes - do this!
it’s easy.
In English.
No added fees - same price as if through official French trains (or Italian trains or other country).
Now it even lists fees in USD (formerly listed prices only in euros).
Don’t lock yourself down to a set schedule - it would feel more like a day job rather than a vacation. Yes, you’ll pay a bit more for the tickets, but the flexibility will be worth it.
I’ve used it on many trips and never had a problem.

Posted by
5503 posts

I do not believe Seat 61 is related to trainline. It is my understanding that Seat 61 is a travel website. Also, it is also my understanding that there can be added fees (though small) when using trainline. I stick to the country's own train website and if that's a problem, I use loco2.

Posted by
32508 posts

angelina521, I'm sorry to say that in this case you are wrong.

I know the chap. He isn't related to any of those companies. He does provide links, is clear that these are outside links, and he is clear that he gets a small commission on click-throughs which help support his site. My comments: his site is fabulous and provides a real service both to experienced train users and train rookies throughout the world.

But - NO - his is not and never has been related to those third party resellers.

Sorry.

Posted by
427 posts

A 3 day flexi pass works out around 45 euro per trip. There will also be a 20 euro res. fee on ICE / TVG.
So for about 160 to 200 euro per person you can do all 3 trips with the flexibility a pass provides. There is an outside chance that you may not get a res. on a particular train if you try to book same day. Pretty unusual though.
Obviously buying tickets well in advance will save quite a few euro but ties you down to a more rigid schedule.
We travelled on a flexi pass on our month long stay in France. We don't like to be locked in a schedule.
I guess it depends on how important saving some money is to you.
Buying the tickets well in advance might have saved us 15 to 20 euro each for each of our 6 long train trips. It would also have meant not having the flexibility that allowed us several of our unexpected highlights.
So many posts I see about people stressing over how to buy train tickets in advance to save money. Pretty glad I just bought our pass. If we had managed to save 200 euro it was never going to be life changing. Being in an historic town to watch a TDF stage finish. Getting to an extra chateau. Being able to relax and not worry about hitting tight schedules. All well worth it.