Please sign in to post.

Train travel from Bordeaux to Paris

We are planning on travelling from Bordeaux to Paris by train on Sunday 14th May. Can anyone give us tips/info on this journey.

Posted by
1116 posts

Definitely book soon! I used trainline.com to book a ticket in the opposite direction, Paris to Bordeaux on May 2 and paid less than $20. Trains to Bordeaux leave from Gare Montparnasse.

Posted by
6421 posts

Buy the tickets from SNCF and make sure you are aware of the difference between InOui and Ouigo.

Posted by
13991 posts

The only thing I have to add is to sign onto the free wifi on the train so you can follow the trip and know when the train gets to 300km/hr.

This is a quick and easy trip and is over before you know it.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
This may be too simple. It is about 3 hours Bordeaux to Paris. Sant-Jean RR station in Bordeaux is a bit out of central Bordeaux so a tram ride or taxi might be necessary to start the trip. In Paris you arrive at Montparnasse RR station which a south of what I would call central Paris. Montparnasse is connected to the metro so you can launch yourself into Paris easily enough.

As everyone else said, "buy your tickets early".

wayne iNWI

Posted by
201 posts

We are taking the train in the opposite direction-from Paris to Bordeaux
What is the difference between InOui and Ouigo? Would I do better with SCNF? Please explain, thanks.
I will be booking tickets for 21 aout from Montparnasse to Bordeaux St. Jean. We are expected to land at CDG 0655 and hope not to have checked bags. My current plan is to take the RER to Denfert-Rochererau and proceed from there either by Metro or taxi.
If there is a train departing @1100 I would try for that one otherwise one leaving @1200.

Posted by
9627 posts

InOui and OuiGo are two different "brands" of the French rail company, SNCF.

InOui are the regular TGVs.

OuiGo are the low-cost TGVs, like a budget airline - they can go as fast as the other trains, but they jammed way more seats in the same space and limit you on what luggage you can take. It's a less comfortable experience.

TGV = fast train