Please sign in to post.

Train travel from Avignon to Paris

We need to travel from Avignon to Paris by train. Would prefer a slower train so we can enjoy the scenery. Also, we do not want to change trains along the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also read that you don’t have much time to hop on the train with your luggage, which concerns me as we aren’t kids any more!

Posted by
20967 posts

Would prefer a slower train so we can enjoy the scenery. Also, we do not want to change trains along the way.

That sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. France, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that people want to get from point A to point B ASAP and they spent a lot of money building a high speed train network. So if you don't want to change trains, you'll just have to watch the telephone poles go by like a picket fence. Or, accept a train change at Lyon Part Dieu station and take slow trains that take 8 hours to do what the fast trains do in 2 3/4.

Posted by
23550 posts

Taking a train to enjoy the scenery is marginal at best. The tracks have been there for a long time so there is a tendency for a lot of trees and brush to grow along the tracks that hinders the views sometimes for long stretches. We did that run three years ago and it was very mixed. The train will give adequate time to get on and off. But it doesn't sit there for ten or fifteen minutes to make sure that everyone is on or off. You need to be ready to get on or off when the trains. The bigger issue is just the crowd/crush to get on and off. Having carry-on size suitcase is a big advantage over having big heavy ones. If you really want to see and enjoy scenery -- take the bus.

Posted by
5687 posts

I took the high speed TGV train from Avignon (started in Arles) to Paris a few years ago. The scenery from the train in central France is quite beautiful in parts, so you can still enjoy some of that. Otherwise, as said above, you'll need to accept a much longer ride with connections.

Posted by
1630 posts

A word of advice. Especially on regional slower trains, the intermediate stops are not long. My husband timed the length of stops last week from Domodossola to Verbania. From the time the train stopped until it started moving ranged from 35 -55 seconds. The door “open” time is less. Know which stops are before yours, and move to the vestibule so you are ready to hop off with luggage.
We saw a couple miss their stop as they we elderly and got to the door right when it closed. Once closed you can’t reopen, even if train is not moving yet. So they had to go to the next stop 20 minutes away, and wait for the next train back. And were at risk of riding without valid tickets.

If the conductors don’t see anyone at the doors getting off, they whistle or motion tell the driver the train is ready to go. So even if you need extra time to get off with your luggage, if you are in the door ways, you can take your time.

One other thing about views, sometimes the windows are so dirty, you can hardly see scenery anyways. Unless you save money by taking the slower train, and have the time for a longer journey, take the high speed trains. For every train connection, you run the risk of missing a connection if your train is late. And with 5-10 minute connections, doesn’t take much. Then you may have lengthened your journey by the time waiting for your next train, maybe an hour or two.

Posted by
183 posts

There are ample direct TGV trains from Avignon TGV into Paris that don't require a change of trains. The only change you'd have to make is from the shuttle that runs from Avignon Central to Avignon TGV. That's a 10-15 minute ride and you'll have more than ample time to transfer. Even at 200 MPH the scenery is amazing.

Posted by
473 posts

I believe what you need to do is just rent a car. Driving in France is easy and enjoyable. That way you can stop when ever you wish.

Posted by
4085 posts

Before the TGV, I rode the Paris-Avignon route several times and enjoyed the views for part of the way, in the Rhone Valley. You can still do it on the regional trains, but Lyon may require a transfer. It willl take twice as long (although arriving at the convenient Centre station in Avignon rather than the TGV station on the outskirts), and lacks the thrill of high speed travel. There is enough variety in landscape from south to north to provide some scenic enjoyment as the train screams past.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for all the posts....they were very helpful! Looks like we’ll be taking the TGV to Paris as we need to arrive in time to board our river cruise.