Please sign in to post.

Train Travel

Hi I need help with planning train travel and I am posting here because I need to learn how train travel works in France, Italy and Germany. Here is my itinerary:
Cruise from Barcelona to Rome September 15-22, 2018

First train trip- Marseille to/from Aix-en Provence (cruise excursion)
Second - Genoa to/from Cinque Terre (cruise excursion)
Third - Rome to Florence, take a Tuscany tour then continue on to Venice
Fourth - Venice to Nuremburg (may decide to fly if cost is close to the same)
Fifth - Nuremburg to Paris (may decide to fly if cost is close to the same)
Sixth - Paris to/from Giverny
Thank you so much for all suggestions.
Pam

Posted by
3689 posts

Take a look at www.seat61.com. That site has loads of information on European train travel. You can find information on schedules and fares for France at www.sncf.com/en.

Posted by
20070 posts

Trenitalia site: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
Use the Italian city names. Genova, Roma, Firenze, Venezia.

It is a 2 hour train ride from Genoa to Monterosso, largest of the Cingue Terre towns, unless you can get off the ship early and get the direct IC train from Piazza Principe station at 9:46. Then its 1 hour 20 minutes. So it does not look like you will have more than a couple hours there until you have to turn around and head back to Genoa.

German railway: www.bahn.com

Posted by
23 posts

Sam our port time in Genoa is from 9am to 9 pm so we should have some time but I thank you for the info.
Pam

Posted by
16893 posts

Numbers 1, 2, and 6 are primarily served by unreserved regional trains. You can buy tickets I the station as easily as anywhere else.

Train tickets for the, other, longer trips are sold for specific dates, times, and seat assignments and can be cheaper when booked in advance (e.g., now), although the full 2nd-class price from Rome to Florence by fast train is only about $50 if you buy that one on the spot.

Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the Deutsche Bahn train schedule link and tips for using it. This link also sells tickets for some of the better connections on your routes to/from Nuremburg.