Please sign in to post.

Train to Giverny

If we buy train tickets in advance, are they for a specific hour or can you hop any train back that you choose?

Posted by
1011 posts

I just purchased tickets on Trainline to Vernon which is the stop to take to get to Giverny. I had to choose certain times. I purchased return tickets, as well, guessing about the length of time we would be at Monet's Gardens (the reason we're going), having lunch, etc. The times aren't terribly convenient, so we're going to be there @ six hours for a total of eight hours including the train.

I believe that I have the latest RS PARIS guidebook, published September 2022. RS suggests a six-hour roundtrip visit. In his guidebook, he states, "The train that leaves Paris around 8:15 is ideal, with departures about hourly after that. Before boarding, use an information desk in Gare St. Lazare to get return times from Vernon to Paris."
RS provides the link, https://giverny.org/transpor/, which appears to suggest that you can just go to the train station and buy your tickets. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can say whether that's a good idea or not.